4 replies to this topic

#1 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

Any ideas? Honestly looking for all restaurants people have liked, esp a few non-fine dining ideas.

#2 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

We haven't been in a long time now so may not be current, but we enjoyed oysters and steamed clams + wine at the shellfish stand at Mercat de L'Olivar. We also went to what I could have sworn was a sister (more casual) restaurant of Simply Fosh -- very good but now I can't find it. Was in a neighborhood north-west of town centre. I would have liked to try Fosh as well but we had a baby in tow at the time. Looking at my notes we also had a very good meal & wine at La Bodeguilla.  I vaguely remember ordering a vegetable dish as an afterthought and having it be fairly extraordinary. 

Maybe this link has something? LINK. That restaurant I mentioned above may have been by one of his former employees in which case maybe follow up on the names listed in the article. In any case a very good meal. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#3 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

We haven't been in a long time now so may not be current, but we enjoyed oysters and steamed clams + wine at the shellfish stand at Mercat de L'Olivar. We also went to what I could have sworn was a sister (more casual) restaurant of Simply Fosh -- very good but now I can't find it. Was in a neighborhood north-west of town centre. I would have liked to try Fosh as well but we had a baby in tow at the time. Looking at my notes we also had a very good meal & wine at La Bodeguilla.  I vaguely remember ordering a vegetable dish as an afterthought and having it be fairly extraordinary. 

Maybe this link has something? LINK. That restaurant I mentioned above may have been by one of his former employees in which case maybe follow up on the names listed in the article. In any case a very good meal. 

Thank you!

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

I haven't been, but the abc coverage is generally reliable, if a bit broad

https://www.abc-mall...rants-mallorca/

And if you have a chance to go to Menorca, Sa Pedrera d'es Pujol

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:38 PM

Behemoth’s pointer to Marc Fosh ended up sounding better on paper than in execution. The space is quite pleasant and the service attentive. The choice is between two fixed menus: essentially, a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian. I had the non-vegetarian (“Marc”) menu, and most of it was fairly bland and/or pedestrian. The consommé and the risotto-like dish with smoked eel were good enough. My wife had the vegetarian (“Natural”) menu, which was much better. The gazpacho and the celeriac dish in particular packed a lot of flavor. Didn’t drink much wine owing to our needing to drive back to Sóller afterwards. In all, given the relative affordability of the two menus, I’d say it’s worth a visit (with limited expectations).

Thanks to orik’s link, I found several good lunch options in Palma for earlier that day. I opted for Forn de Saint Joan, and it was really very good. My wife went with the fixed lunch menu for (IIRC) EUR 18.50, which was a good bargain, even though the main was (perfectly cooked) salmon. I reeled off a number of tapas that I wanted to try, only to have the server gently put the brakes on – the plates here are more medium-sized. The mini cornet with ceviche of sea bass, langoustines and coconut foam was terrific. Also had a salad of tomatoes, burrata foam, pine nuts, shiso leaves and ponzu sauce, a potato, apple and celery salad with grilled langoustines, cured salmon, Thai mayonnaise and crispy corn, and grilled octopus, truffled parmentier and olive aioli. It was all outstanding. I’d highly recommend this place. Total bill was about EUR 60 with beverages. Their sister restaurant, KOA, is right across the street and also gets good marks on abc-mallorca.

FWIW, Port de Sóller is pretty much a wasteland for fine dining, though fresh fish abounds. We had OK meals at El Sabor and El Pirata.