3 replies to this topic

#1 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

My next stop will be in Edinburgh, starting in Mid-June. I've not been, and I want to get the most of my stay there. I'm as excited about this as I've ever been about anywhere. Wikitravel is okay, but I'd love some advice about a good (not too pricey) neighborhood, and things to do. I use airbnb for apartments, unless anyone has a better idea. Thanks for the insight.

edited to add: I won't have a car, so easy access by walking or bus appreciated.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,659 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

i really like morningside. find something within a couple of blocks of morningside rd and it's a quick bus ride or longish walk to princes street. the neighborhood has restaurants and a cinema as well

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,255 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

we'll miss you by a few days again. we arrive in edinburgh on the 4th and then leave for parts northern on the 8th.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

by design, mongo.  :)

I've booked an airbnb in Morningside for a month (thanks for the tip, Splinky)- near something called Wild West Morningside. Now the more relevant question- where to eat?