14 replies to this topic

#1 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

My next stop will be in Edinburgh, starting in Mid-June. I've not been, and I want to get the most of my stay there. I'm as excited about this as I've ever been about anywhere. Wikitravel is okay, but I'd love some advice about a good (not too pricey) neighborhood, and things to do. I use airbnb for apartments, unless anyone has a better idea. Thanks for the insight.

edited to add: I won't have a car, so easy access by walking or bus appreciated.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,699 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

i really like morningside. find something within a couple of blocks of morningside rd and it's a quick bus ride or longish walk to princes street. the neighborhood has restaurants and a cinema as well

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

we'll miss you by a few days again. we arrive in edinburgh on the 4th and then leave for parts northern on the 8th.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

by design, mongo.  :)

I've booked an airbnb in Morningside for a month (thanks for the tip, Splinky)- near something called Wild West Morningside. Now the more relevant question- where to eat? 

#5 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

Thought I'd pop in for a bit of an update.  I am staying in Morningside, and I'd highly recommend it- especially if you get off the main road.  I did not, and it's noisy AF. The bus stop is right below my window (convenient!), and the constant noise of vehicles, sirens and late night drunks is making me a bit batty, despite ear plugs.

As for food, the one word I have for eating in Edinburgh is.... disappointment. And the more I've spent, the more disappointed I've been. There have been some unexpected bright lights, but I'm pretty sad about the food in general.

But I'll start with a highlight. This is a place called Maison Bleue Le Bistrot just down the road. (It's one of a group of 3 local restaurants) They have a good lunch prix fixe, so I got the pea soup and the chicken provencale. The pea soup was a delight- I know this sounds silly, but it really tasted of fresh peas.  Sometime pea soup is mushy and bland, but this was really great. Little bits of firm fresh peas added texture.

42801885181_02e4d2075b_z.jpg

Chicken provencale was quite nice as well, and for 10 quid or so, this was a great deal

42801885081_c4bbd4af3c_z.jpg

Generous portion of thigh meat, needed a little salt.  I do wish that people would cut it out with the squiggles, but alas.

Nice meal, charming space, very nice people, would recommend.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

we had a just about adequate lunch at a locally lauded place called ting thai caravan. slightly better indian dinner at another lauded place called mother india cafe. better indian food at what is said to be edinburgh's oldest indian restaurant, a curry house named khushi's.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

we had a just about adequate lunch at a locally lauded place called ting thai caravan. slightly better indian dinner at another lauded place called mother india cafe. better indian food at what is said to be edinburgh's oldest indian restaurant, a curry house named khushi's.

Ting Thai Caravan and Ting Saboteur (on the same block) have been my favorite experiences here. I've been to Saboteur so much that I'm getting a regular customer discount, but that's probably because I really hit it off with the manager, politics wise.  I've had a couple of very bad Indian experiences- including dishoom. 

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

most everything we ate at ting thai was at almost-minnesota levels of sweet.

~homer simpson

#9 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

I've been pretty remiss here, so I'll try and make that up. Mongo is right that The Tings are on the sweet side, but the ingredients were fresh and good quality.

Ting Saboteur is the more "Vietnamese" one, and I got the bun bo hue:

42438843814_35fba84966_z.jpg

Besides granting that it's sweeter than it should be, this was a pretty nice soup. The noodles were not mushy and there was enough chili flavor to almost pull it off. While I wouldn't order this again, I was happy to get something with a bit of heat.

Another day I went in and asked for something with a lot of veg. Vegetables (other than mushy peas and questionable salads) are not easy to come by.  The waitress recommended this: Mi Ga Curry, which while "westernized", was actually exactly what I wanted.

41346301570_fb3d4fdeac_z.jpg

and yeah, it's in a fookin' box. But it's 6.80 (pounds, I don't have that symbol on my inadequate american keyboard)

After my awful lunch at dishoom (more later), I walked up and over the hill and was hungry.  My bus stop to morningside from the center is right on the corner from here, so I stopped in for *something*, and got the satay.  I expected it to be on a skewer, but no, it's in a box.  But it was really good.

42438841944_836a71710c_z.jpg

chicken, chilis, cukes, onions, peanuts. Best 4.40 I ever spent.

Ting Saboteur website: http://www.saboteurrestaurant.com/

At Ting Thai, just down the block, a similar situation, but the australian waitress was charming and a little flirtatious. I liked it.

I don't have pics, but the first visit I got the crunchy fried tofu and the thai beef salad, and the second visit the green curry.  The tofu was a little dry, I was expecting an agadashi treatment ( i know...japanese), but it wasn't bad, just wouldn't reorder. The other dishes were good, and neither were too sweet, but maybe my palate was adjusting?

#10 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

Do you ever get a chance to eat at Kitchen?

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

See if they'll give you toast or grilled bread with your satay next time. That would make it even better.

#12 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

Do you ever get a chance to eat at Kitchen?

I did not, but based on your recommendation of that, I did go to Scran and Scallie, which I have pics of and will post about. 

#13 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

this reminds me that i've not yet written up a single one of our edingburgh meals.

~homer simpson

#14 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

this reminds me that i've not yet written up a single one of our edingburgh meals.

I think the rule of pra says you can't post anything else until you do. 

#15 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:17 AM

You know it! Because when you (general you) write trips up out of order you forget important details. And then how else am I supposed to plan my trips to all these places everyone else goes but me? My corresponding Google map will be missing huge chunks of important eating, drinking, and seeing!

An aside, but somewhat related, i wish slapsie maxie would reappear and write about some of his trips to the Philippines. I imagine he's been to some of the places I'm planning (hoping) to visit in the near future, and I would trust his recs more than the average unknown blogger (aside from marketman maybe).