21 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

we'll be airbnb'ing for the first time on our upcoming uk trip. four days in edinburgh in what looks like a pretty nice place (we'll discover the truth of it on arrival, i guess). unless the host cancels the reservation before we get there--that's what happened with the place i'd booked in bayswater for the second half of our london sojourn (will be staying with friends for the first part). i'm now having a devil of a time finding a place. the only places available in our range (and in neighbourhoods we want) are either high up in buildings without lifts or have 0-few reviews. those of you who airbnb often: how many reviews minimum before you trust a host and their description of a flat?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

It's not so much about the number of reviews as about whether any of them contain specific complaints that might be of concern and about figuring out the type of problems endemic to a region (e.g. there's probably good reason why there aren't many photos of the shower area around the marais, an area with apartments that have been split into ikea holes, etc.)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:42 PM

0 reviews is a no go for us, but five or ten reviews from people who have reviewed other places might be enough. It’s hard to say.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:56 AM

red flags that i've seen all over the place for places in our budget in london ($250 a night or below):

1. no-few reviews

2. places listed multiple times (pictures give them away), sometimes with reviews, sometimes not.

3. reviews that seem shady. for example, glowing reviews from people who when you click on their profiles turn out to be listed themselves as hosts in london. which kinda makes me think there's a lot of shady review exchanging/gaming going on between hosts (or companies that have multiple listings).

4. places that seem like placeholders--you'll get a flat but it won't necessarily be the one that got the good reviews (some of the hosts seem to have multiple flats in buildings).

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:35 AM

It’s also possible it’s a poorly managed pro, try googling the address and see what you find.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:46 AM

I think you're $50 too low. At $300 there are enough good listings.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

And I've certainly seen a generalized uptick on property prices on both airbnb and vrbo.

My first pass on airbnb I use super host as a filter.    Then, as Ori mentions above, I try to ascertain the quality of reviews.  For some reason, bathroom/kitchen pictures are important to me.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

I had a horrible experience in Atlanta. I trashed the place, several people trashed the place, they shut down the listing and relisted under something new, I notified air bnb, they did nothing
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#9 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

I think you're $50 too low. At $300 there are enough good listings.

yeah--just saw a place for $285. great location, superhost and 17 five star reviews from what seem like real people. might have to have the kids skip a few meals (or maybe i'll buy a little less whisky) but i'd like to spend less of my time everyday trolling through airbnb listings. sent in a request.

For some reason, bathroom/kitchen pictures are important to me.

ah, but the curse of the wide-angle lens...

~homer simpson

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

I had a horrible experience in Atlanta. I trashed the place, several people trashed the place, they shut down the listing and relisted under something new, I notified air bnb, they did nothing

in most parts of the u.s decent hotels seem competitive with airbnb. and i can't think of any cities here where i'd want to get a place with a kitchen so i could cook local produce/fish/etc.

~homer simpson

#11 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

I use AirBnB exclusively when I visit Vermont and have had great experiences. The difference is anonymous hotel room vs charming cabin or cottage.

I've found though that when visiting international cities, it just makes more sense (price-wise) to book a hotel.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

I've found though that when visiting international cities, it just makes more sense (price-wise) to book a hotel.

It is very city dependent.

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

And (I guess this is obvious) length of stay dependent as well.  Anything past 4 days & we look at airbnb, vrbo, etc since we can usually get places with 2 bathrooms (a marriage saver for us) and (of course) separate living/sleeping areas.  Kitchens are nice for leftovers, noshing & things like convenient filtered or bubbled/carbonated water.  

This space available… contact owner.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

For some reason, bathroom/kitchen pictures are important to me.

ah, but the curse of the wide-angle lens...

I'm more looking to see if I can ascertain whether it's a functional airbnb place all the time, or whether the sublessor is leaving for the weekend in order to be able to pay the rent.  So stuff like refrigerator magnets or weird bath toys makes a place an instant no=no for me.

in most parts of the u.s decent hotels seem competitive with airbnb. and i can't think of any cities here where i'd want to get a place with a kitchen so i could cook local produce/fish/etc.

It can be nice to have a kitchen in San Francisco.  And I always look for a place with a great view when we airbnb out there...

41054148245_6c422e380d_z.jpg

AS well as time of the year one travels dependent, I think.

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

i said "most american cities". hotels in san francisco/manhattan are not cheap either. and yes, in places like vermont i'd always look to renting a house.

~homer simpson