#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

FFS

I do like the quote: “To the woman who has just acquired an electric blender, the whole world looks like soup.”

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:17 AM

The swag bag for the potluck I was at tonight included the OXO silicone egg poacher. I'll have to decide whether to try it (well, them; comes two in a box) or set it aside to regift.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

Regift. IMO, egg poachers generally make crappy poached eggs as the eggs are not completely enveloped in water. I hate hard egg whites on my poached eggs.

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

Although... Could they be used as egg cups? I love egg cups!

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

You might be thinking of the little metal pots that are basically double-boilers that steam the eggs. (I've got a couple of those, and you're right: they do NOT make poached eggs. I only use the bottom pot to melt butter and heat tiny bits of sauce.) These are different. If you haven't looked at the picture in the link: Think two halves of an orange or small grapefruit, one solid and one perforated, placed rounded sides together, with a hole going through the assemblage. (So no good as egg cups. Well, maybe. But they're pretty wide and deep, and an egg in the shell might still be hard to manage.) You're supposed to put the perfed end in boiling water, then drop an egg down into the solid top. Supposedly the egg gets formed into a nice oval shape by the top, and enough water touches it to cook it. I'm skeptical, but I do love OXO products, so maybe it does work. I may try them out the next time I make ramen.

But yes, who needs this kind of thing?

{Christopher] Kimball also acknowledged having bought every iteration of egg poacher over the years, even though, as he said, “at the end of the day, it actually isn’t that hard to cook an egg.”

#6 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

I did look at the photo first and assumed it wasn't that different from a PoachPod or any of the other silicone egg poachers I've seen or of which I've had the misfortune to experience their "poached egg" products (sheesh! I'm pretty sure that sentence is ungrammatical, but you know what I mean) . Unless the single hole going through both pods is exceptionally large, most of the white will not be touched by water. To me, that style of cooking does not a poached egg make.

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:45 PM

I just watched the video. That hole is awfully big, much bigger than I imagined. The egg actually drops through to the bottom and then cooks. While it appeared to make a better poached egg than similar types of products, it looked more like a basted egg than a poached egg. Kind of the same, but kind of not.