13 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

We lived in a large city with lots of people.. It always shocks me how people can be so unaware of themselves with so many people around.. So, I spend a lot of time in bars..  Whether my own or someone else's... What has been happening recently is, if I get up from my stool for whatever reason; get a water, use the bathroom, get a closer look at the menu, there will often be a person that pushes my stool back and will stand in front of my stool while talking to the bartender, blocking my seat and all.. 

Depending on the length of time, I will either let the person finish, i will make my presence known and make a gesture,  or give some indication that hey, that drink and the seat and the phone and the shit right in front of you, is all mine and I am sitting there.  4 out of 10 times the person will move without a discussion.  

So last night, it's mother's day, waiting for my inlaws and a few people to meet me at my bar so we can leave for dinner from there.. I am sitting at the bar, in between a regular and my wife.. There are maybe 6 empty seats at the bar and this customer comes up and pushes my stool away, stands in between my wife and another person speaking and is looking to be noticed by the bartender.. 

I walk over, speak to the person.. I am ignored, i touch their back, I am ignored, i touch their shoulder, I am ignored.. I say, hey' excuse me loudly, i am sorry but, I am sitting here.. The guy says,  "I heard you the first time, I am trying to get a drink"  I say, "i totally understand, there the other side of the bar is opened, do you mind if I sit down"     He says, "when I am done, you can sit down"  I then reply, " while just sitting down in my chair and moving him over,  I don't understand, you clearly see that I am sitting here, there are plenty of other places you can go to, why can't you just give me the courtesy of moving down so I can sit in my seat and join my friends"  He then stares awkwardly forward while dealing with the bartender and still trying to crowd my chair while there are seats three feet in either direction.. 

Anyway, has anyone noticed this behavior, what the hell is the matter with people..  This happens so often.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

I mean I almost took a hammer to a guys car on Saturday, so probably not the person to ask. But yes, people are assholes.

I was in a cab in the service road of our complex managing a kid, umbrellas (it was raining) and bags from the green market, and this dickhead starts riding his horn - so I stare at him as I get out of the car and he starts chatting back at me.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Oh, this thread is not to show some sort of astonishment at the amount of assholes there are.. I was just commenting on what's trending within  the asshole community .. 

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Anyway, has anyone noticed this behavior, what the hell is the matter with people..  This happens so often.. 

I was in a cab in the service road of our complex managing a kid, umbrellas (it was raining) and bags from the green market, and this dickhead starts riding his horn - so I stare at him as I get out of the car and he starts chatting back at me.

This is news?   Yeah, the level of asshole-edness and dickishness has risen scarily over the past decade or two.

I mean, I've been complaining about people putting their shit on open bar stools (which might not be as bad as D is describing) for years.  I actually had to say to a host or manager at Cafe Altro Paradiso the other day, hey, shouldn't that bar stool where I need to sit be making you money, as he was kind of afraid to ask the person to remove their shit from said stool.

I basically just barge in when I see that happening.

#5 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

Daniel did you tell the a-hole that it was your bar and to GTFU? If not, I GREATLY admire your restraint.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

Daniel did you tell the a-hole that it was your bar and to GTFU? If not, I GREATLY admire your restraint.

Ultimately, he was a customer. I still wanted him to have a good time and I did not mention anything to him.  He walked off into the backyard and I never would see him again.   I was more just trying to get an understanding into his thought process.. Which, ultimately was, this is what I want, so go fuck yourself..  It was a lot less profound than what I was hoping for.. 

#7 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Wow! How incredibly rude! I haven't really noticed that, but tend to go to bars in neighborhoods--the kind where everyone knows everyone. It's a lot more often, that we will walk into a place, it is crowded and someone at the bar, will holler, "Hey, Deb! We're just about to leave. Come take these seats." 

And I suppose that's why we go to those places.  :)

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Home schooling.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

I was recently at a restaurant waiting for several friends to arrive. As I went to sit down on a barstool the woman next to it crossed her hands over it and said my friend is on the way and is going to sit here. You know what I said Im here and your friend is not and Im sitting down.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

I love rearranging seats at a bar so that Sig Eater and I can sit together. People look on with astonishment.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,246 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

I mean, I've been complaining about people putting their shit on open bar stools (which might not be as bad as D is describing) for years.  I actually had to say to a host or manager at Cafe Altro Paradiso the other day, hey, shouldn't that bar stool where I need to sit be making you money, as he was kind of afraid to ask the person to remove their shit from said stool.

I basically just barge in when I see that happening.

Jesus Fucking Christ I HATE when this happens.

And it happens ALL the time.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:42 PM

Well I agree but none of this is new.

I slammed a car on the roof a couple of days ago, so I am not exactly Mr Tolerant.

#13 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:14 AM

What's actually fun is when you can play the age card. As in, smiling sweetly and saying, "it's my sciatica, you know. I'm sure you won't mind..." while looking pointedly at an improperly occupied seat.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#14 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,472 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:03 AM

The horn business is getting out of control in greater LA.  Of course when someone completely runs a red light, I can understand why people going perpendicular hit their horns.  The problem is the folks behind you hitting their horns for you to go when you would be t-boned by the person running the red.  Stupid.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought