8 replies to this topic

#1 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Lunch here was disappointing. The pitas have a soft pillowy texture, so unfortunately the ratatouille pita makes for a mushy sandwich. The famous cauliflower was bland. One minute steak pita was excellent, the steak perfectly crisped up, nicely balanced with the other ingredients. Another minute steak pita was a sad version of the good one. Slow and disorganized compared to Los Tacos No. 1.

I was also put off by the chefs constantly touching computer touchscreens with their food prep gloves on - seemed like a breach of hygiene.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

I guess it's one of those very consistent global chains now - from the Paris location in 2015:

Miznon, by the way, scared me. One of the kitchen employees seemed like he must have many tracks up his arms, while the other was handling our food while constantly scratching whatever uncomfortable condition was going on around his face and neck... brr... doesn't help that the place is dirty, tahini stands there in the open like it's Tel-Aviv or something... still, the lamb kebab pita was tasty and didn't kill us. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Exhibit A why the DOH war on gloveless sushi is so misguided. I've seen this happen at LabCorp too....ewww.

#4 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

The pitas are excellent, but a lot of the fillings leave something to be desired.  I've found that a lot of the non-meat fillings don't taste like anything at all.  And agreed that the cauliflower isn't good for anything except filling up stomach space.

My favorite is the folded cheeseburger, which is probably a little rare for some folks.  I also enjoy the minute steak, though have also noted the inconsistency -- sometimes it is completely unsalted except for a single bite that's a mouthful of large flakes of salt.

The pitas, though.

#5 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:24 AM

i mean touching a touch screen in gloves is no different than touching any of the hundred other surfaces in a kitchen that are food contact surfaces...except, statistically, glove wearers wash their hands less frequently than the non-gloved. so....

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,011 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

I think people notice it because every location of Miznon I've been to (four of them) seems to give off a certain griminess after it's been open for a while. You say "this place seemed to be unsanitary because people were touching non food surfaces" while really you mean it just seems unclean for some reason that's harder to define.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

I like the cheeseburger one too, and agree about the pitas. apparently miriam in park slope buys the same bread

#8 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

I like the cheeseburger one too, and agree about the pitas. apparently miriam in park slope buys the same bread.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,287 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:52 AM

Whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger.
Bar Loser

MF Old