Photo

City shorts for men (recreating this disappeared topic)

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

I live at what just might be the US nexus of men's fashion as worn by your friends and neighbors rather than on the runway or in a photo spread.Many hyper-groomed, extremely spiffy-looking fellows in my neighborhood, and I am used to seeing guys dressed to the teeth, in the latest, etc. on a daily basis.

At the beginning of the season there was a spate of bits in the press about shorts, as in dress shorts, bermuda shorts, whatever you want to call them, worn as business attire. I have a neighbor I have seen working a variation of this: long shorts, highly polished Prada loafers, an oxford-type shirt or a Lacoste. He is a smallish man, very trim and well-groomed and accessorized with the latest watch, belt, bag, etc., and he manages to pull it off albeit in a very "I work in the fashion business and spend at least an hour getting dressed each day" sort of way.

However, my world was rocked this afternoon by a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street. He was wearing a perfectly fitting white shirt and retro-skinny tie and carrying his gray sharkskin jacket. He was tall, lanky, with fashionably tousled and mussed hair and was wearing fashion-forward-looking lace-up shoes, short dark socks, and perfectly fitting suit pants with legs that ended at mid-thigh.He looked like an utter clown. The long, bare, hairy legs especially.

Am I being too harsh? Is this a look anyone should even contemplate? Am I being sexist? (I know this outfit on a woman would not have even gotten a second glance from me)
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,377 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

The odds of a man's legs looking good are long. Very long.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#3 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

....a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street....

I think that says it all.

Today I had my hair cut. The colorist at the salon never ceases to amaze me. Some days he has long hair in a bun or a French twist. Others, it is a shoulder bob. He sometimes wears a skirt. Facial hair comes and goes. Au natural, he looks a lot like Tiny Tim. He is into yoga, and I have seen him balance his entire body on one hand.

Leg hair can come or go. Maybe he should go to NY.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#4 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

Am I being too harsh? Is this a look anyone should even contemplate? Am I being sexist?

No. Never. No.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#5 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

However, my world was rocked this afternoon by a model-boy type strollling up Seventh Avenue at about 21st Street. He was wearing a perfectly fitting white shirt and retro-skinny tie and carrying his gray sharkskin jacket. He was tall, lanky, with fashionably tousled and mussed hair and was wearing fashion-forward-looking lace-up shoes, short dark socks, and perfectly fitting suit pants with legs that ended at mid-thigh.He looked like an utter clown. The long, bare, hairy legs especially.

Oh. My. Gawd. Daisy. You flirt, you. And such a shy girl. That's no way to win me. Nice legs, eh? Good thing you didn't see King Kong's back. Next time, just come up, pinch me and say hello. Both will be shaved tomorrow though, legs and back.

#6 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:50 AM

Maybe she didn't recognize you without your usual basket of luxury ingredients in hand? ;)
Gone fishing for the summer.

#7 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:55 AM

Dark socks with shorts - was he, by any chance, I rice-eating tourist?
And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.

#8 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:03 AM

Dark socks with shorts - was he, by any chance, a rice-eating tourist?

Was his wife wearing a matching polo shirt? Preferably in an unusual pastel tone.

#9 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:14 AM

Maybe she didn't recognize you without your usual basket of luxury ingredients in hand? ;)

Okay, since I can't say what I really want to, I'll have to think a bit more ...

Hmmm, it's all coming back to me, those way-too-tight suit pants, 7th and 21st, oh yeh, I was scratching and readjusting myself as I strutted down that catwalk

Cuisses de Chambolle? Not a luxury ingredient? And where have you been dining?

#10 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:18 AM

Okay, since I can't say what I really want to, I'll have to think a bit more ...

If you say what you want to concisely I will translate issues of Korean Elle for you.

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,260 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

in 10 years daisy will regret this post.

i can't wear shorts in any context. my spindly legs and knock knees drive the ladies dangerously crazy, you see. when i go to the beach i have to wear a kaftan till i'm in the water.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#12 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

I understand that "old guy plaid" long golf shorts are very in with younger guys. Usually with no shirt.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#13 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

"Business shorts" have been common attiire in Australia for decades. Something to do with the climate perhaps. I like the idea; it's a levelling factor.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

My UPS man wears uniform shorts. But he's from a French family.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Dark socks with shorts - was he, by any chance, I rice-eating tourist?

Black socks and shorts always go along with dead white fish belly colored legs. An awful look that appeals to hipsters. They are welcome to it.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China