4 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

My girlfriend knows the writer-director, Ari Aster, so we went to support him and hopefully enjoy the film.  Um, not so much.   This is one of those horror pictures that raises a lot of "Why didn't you do this?" questions and it can't answer them.  The craft of the various guilds on the picture is good but for the writing and direction (not that the direction is bad, it just fails to grasp the script issues).  https://www.imdb.com...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Milly Shapiro has a face made for horror films.  Will she be able to capitalize on it?

The film is a descendant of "The Shining" and "Rosemary's Baby" and has a tone and pace that recalls "Blue Velvet."  Sadly, any of those is better.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

Bummer. Heard a review on Fresh Air and it sounded so good.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

The acting is good, although Gabriel Byrne seems far too passive (and I just found out that he's supposed to be playing a psychiatrist!).  The cinematography is good.  The set design is good (and the dioramas are fascinating).  The sound is very good.  The music is good.  The pieces are good.  But the plot is questionable.  And the ending is one which will either have you scratching your head, or causing you to have some mystical understanding of what went before.

Then that happened.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,423 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

Wowza,  we watched that last night.  I think the entire theater was holding hands at the end of the movie..   I truly feel like Toni Collette should at least receive a nomination, what an incredible actress..  She really carried the movie in my opinion.  I was not such a fan of the son, Alex Wolf, nor Gabriel Byrn.  Though, perhaps Byrn was supposed to be that removed.   But yeh, it was a lot of fun.  One of the best movies in the horror genre I can think of.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,479 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

Collette does act up a storm, perhaps too much for my taste.  This wants to be a thinking person's horror film.  It begs for camparison to "Get Out" and "A Quiet Place."  In comparison, it's the least of these.

Then that happened.