8 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Vini e Fritti is Danny Meyer's mock-up of a Roman wine-and-fried-snacks bar, in the back of The Redbury Hotel (formerly the Martha Washington), where Marta is in front.

Now my favorite four food groups are Fried, Wine, Gin, and Pig Fat.  Vini e Fritti has two of them covered (and, although not central to the concept, you can get some gin, too).  So they kind of had me going in.  I am happy to say that I was not at all disappointed.

I don't really remember what I had, but it was all good.  The frying, while not miraculously greaseless as at some tempura places, was still remarkably greaseless.  I find with fried snacks like these that texture is really as important as flavor -- but whatever, everything felt and tasted good.

Probably sparkling wine is the best thing to drink with fried snacks.  But I stuck with some whites from the list, and they were good.  How do they not have Coenobium by the glass, though?

Now for the best part:  they say they're open late -- and they mean it!  I swanned in at something like 11 PM on a Sunday, and they were happy to serve me.  We need more of this in this City!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:21 AM

It's also surprisingly inexpensive for what it is. The first time I went, I didn't realize the prices were service-included until I got my check.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,795 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

I had this on my list earlier this year. Re-adding it.

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:14 PM

I’m not as enthusiastic as others. It’s fine for what it is, which isn’t a place you can make a full meal.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#5 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

You must not like fried food enough, then.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

I think the idea of these places (at least in other places) is that they are really meant as a snack and a glass or two of wine type place.

Someplace where one might go before proceeding on to a full meal. Or, if a full meal was had at midday, someplace to satiate a little hunger before heading home for a plate of pasta, or bed.

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

That's exactly right. Ironically it might be closest to a real tapas/chichetti place as we've got.

(but the food just isn't that great)

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,795 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:35 PM

Interesting. Most New York tapas bars can't really be tapas bars, because they need people to spend the price of a full meal.

Personally, I can't read ...

SPUMANTE AL BICCHIERE

...as anything other than Spuming in a Beaker.

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

I think his rent is not remotely close to market.

Someone suggested to me the deal was so good he almost had to come up with something for the space.  Obviously its his third operation in the hotel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roman, Fried, Danny Meyer