13 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:09 AM

It's called "Nanette."  Quite the tour de force.  Still processing this to be honest.  https://variety.com/...edy-1202867395/

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

i'm really looking forward to watching her

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

If you want to be up to speed around the water cooler, you have to watch this show.  If you don't, it's damned thought provoking and entertaining.

Then that happened.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

multiple spoilers ahead

https://slate.com/cu...e560311138b4568

Then that happened.

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:17 AM

It's called "Nanette."  Quite the tour de force.  Still processing this to be honest.  https://variety.com/...edy-1202867395/

life changing, in some ways.  she is also a master of the call back

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

Must watch. Essential.

The first half, I'm thinking she's a very skillful comedian but why is everyone going crazy for this?

Then it turns a corner and there should be no spoilers.

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

more spoilers ahead

Christ, just go watch the special.

Here's a provocative comparison of Gadsby's special with Maher's.  Looking a little pale there, Bill.

http://www.vulture.c...-up-comedy.html

Then that happened.

#8 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

Its not comedy, she created Something Else. Not much else I can say that would live up to what she did, except that its shattering. I hope we can hear from her more in a way she chooses.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#9 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

Its not comedy, she created Something Else.

True, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I admired it more than I liked it. I generally don't "approve" (as if my approval counts for anything) of performance-as-catharsis. And once I'd watched it all the way through, I started to feel guilty for finding humor in any of it, although of course much of it was very funny. So I'm conflicted. Which is perhaps the point.

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

Meta comedy is funny but it also brings with it some responsibility, and she does take some big leaps. But really very well done and even more importantly - getting exposure with a huge audience who have probably never considered some of the issues raised. I guess I don't need to buy everything she's selling to appreciate who it is being marketed to, successfully, for the first-ish time.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:23 AM

The intriguing foundation is that she's a very skillful stand-up; I mean, really good.* That's the launch pad. She does cheat the audience on their expectations, but of course that's largely the point (or "Well spotted," as she would say).

*Her art history material...

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:09 AM

She does have intriguing observations about male artists and art history.  Not sure I accept all of it, but she got me to think about it in a way I had not done before.  (Okay, maybe I'm slow.)

Then that happened.

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:14 AM

The intriguing foundation is that she's a very skillful stand-up; I mean, really good.* That's the launch pad. She does cheat the audience on their expectations, but of course that's largely the point (or "Well spotted," as she would say).

*Her art history material...

Yes. I didn't mean that she cheats on expectations, because of course the brilliant setup is intended to do to the audience exactly that, and exactly what she then demolishes. I meant that she wants to make the art history stuff, for example, the basis of a greater truth about suffering and the other, and it's a shaky basis. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

Yes, one doesn't accept every step in the argument, but I think we're all agreed on the impact.