7 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

I have never used any delivery services for grocery shopping, but the times they are a changin'.

I'm in the throes of recovering from some fairly intense surgery (not intense in a life-threatening sort of way, but intense in other ways, like it fucking hurts), and my recovery precludes me from driving (not necessarily a problem) and lifting/schlepping anything over "x" number of pounds.  So my beloved trips to the USQ green market, or out to Sheepshead Bay to Net Cost market, or to somewhere in Queens or NJ to H Mart, and dragging 30 to 40 lbs. of groceries/produce up to my apartment, are out for a while. Fortunately, the recovery has not stopped us from going out to dinner practically nightly.

Enter Fresh Direct, and my thoughts of signing up. The have things like Poulet Rouge (mentioned and cooked by @splinky in another thread somewhere).  And their prices for many items certainly seem in line with the places I generally shop at. 

They have various iterations of a "delivery pass," which would allow me to schedule deliveries on certain days of the week, at practically $0 delivery cost.

I've heard from 2 or 3 friends who use it that it's very, very time saving and convenient, and that much of the product (fresh stuff) is actually of good quality.  On line - they even show a produce delivery box from a CSA, that you can order or not, without signing up for a whole season's worth.

So - anyone here use it regularly? If so, whaddya think? 

ETA: Thank god for the World Cup and today the start of the Tour de France, which while they haven't eased the recovery process, certainly help to pass some time.

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

I've had quite bad outcomes with their fresh. I've tried the Amazon competitor as well with slightly better results. But still not great.

Colleagues use googles competitor and like it but they don't have the same standards we have for fresh so wouldn't recommend purely off of that.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

It's a shame as it is massively convenient.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,699 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

mixed bag on fresh produce, meats are generally fine if branded, it's super convenient (bad hip, bad back, bad ankle, bad knees mean i try not schlep).  i use amazon fresh as well and have the same problem with uneven produce quality. costco has a new grocery delivery service but i haven't tried it yet. i already know that i don't generally love costco meats but might try it for dry goods, frozen and produce.  i don't like the amazon monthly fee because some months i don't order and i feel cheated. fresh direct often has sales on their delivery pass and the intro offer for delivery pass is a good deal and sometimes i let my subscription lapse and they offer me a free 6 month pass. they also have weekly free delivery coupons for orders over $75 or $99. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

It's a shame as it is massively convenient.

Yes, this.

Probably not worth it just to order dry, canned or jarred stuff, but if a few other items can be consistently ok, it might be worth a shot for sure. I mean, my grocery store downstairs is fine fare, so how much worse could it be?

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

Imagine someone adversely selecting from your grocery store offerings, that's as bad as it is. Our nyc office used to use them for a while, until there was some incident with one of their drivers that required filing a police report.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,347 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:54 AM

mixed bag on fresh produce, meats are generally fine if branded, it's super convenient (bad hip, bad back, bad ankle, bad knees mean i try not schlep).  i use amazon fresh as well and have the same problem with uneven produce quality. costco has a new grocery delivery service but i haven't tried it yet. i already know that i don't generally love costco meats but might try it for dry goods, frozen and produce.  i don't like the amazon monthly fee because some months i don't order and i feel cheated. fresh direct often has sales on their delivery pass and the intro offer for delivery pass is a good deal and sometimes i let my subscription lapse and they offer me a free 6 month pass. they also have weekly free delivery coupons for orders over $75 or $99. 

Here's the thing to be aware about regarding Costo's delivery - the stuff is more expensive than if you buy it in the store. Friends of ours have done a side-by-side comparison. It wasn't always the case, they changed their pricing in the last 6 months.

Future Legacy Participant.

#8 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

Produce is ok but can be inconsistent with size, tough to know how much you will get as cauliflower zucchini etc can vary massively. Have not tried the CSA box. More like decent grocery store than farmer market quality (then again the bs farmer market by me sells Andy boy lettuce e!) Meat is generally good. I like the skirt steak better than whole foods. Steaks have the same sizing issues as veggies. Fish is fresh but badly butchered. Pantry items can be massively overpriced, read the sizes carefully, the jams and oils bring to mind Zoolander "what is this, an avocado oil for ants?"