4 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

So Jonathan Benno going further down the Italian path - here a Roman theme to Italienne's (where I ate the next night) underlying Northeastern Italian theme.

Its good. I had an excellent "Salad" of beef shank, tripe, mint, basil, calabrian peppers, and tomatoes that I really liked.

A bit more rote octopus dish and a good + rigatoni dish that isn't going to light the world on fire, but was decent.

Pretty terrible room tho. Unlike hotel places that do a good job of not feeling you in are in their lobby this felt more like the back room at marta.

IDK - if you liked his food @ Per Se and were disappointed by what he was doing at Lincoln, I suspect you'll be horrified by this.

I guess there is a plan of a more luxe place. I hope that's true. Still worth a visit.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

There is definitely a plan for a more luxe place in the hotel.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Yes, his high end eponymous restaurant Benno is scheduled to open in the fall. His Focacceria e Paticceria bakery and cafe opened yesterday.

We had dinner at Leonelli Taberna on June 27th. They had not yet gotten their liquor license (we were apprised of that when we called to reserve), but Michael was not deterred. Despite it being the second night it was open, service was smooth. I don’t agree with Bonner about the dining room. Not very large, it’s in a recessed corner, there’s a view of the kitchen, and the noise level is comfortable. Everything we ate was perfectly prepared and delicious. Benno was, of course, in the house.

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskATpw6i

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:29 PM

Question for you Roz. Would you rather eat here or at Italienne?

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#5 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:13 AM

We first went to the now Trattoria Italienne right after it opened as italienne in Nov. 2016 and have since been there many times. We love Jared Sippel’s food and have gotten to know him, GM James King, and the staff. They are wonderful people and treat us extremely well.