6 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:22 AM

I had a busy weekend at Monmouth Park and decided to have an early dinner at Blu Grotto. For those of you who don't know, Blu Grotto is an upscale restaurant on the grounds of Monmouth Park Racetrack -- very nice, upscale, nice menu and overall, a very nice experience. From the bar, to the main dining room, to the rotunda style room, to the outside lounge, upper deck, beer garden, patio, all throughout -- the color blue theme -- everything contributes to a very nice place. Upscale, but casual.

We sat at the bar, filled with TV monitors showing races from across the country, and only a few steps from a self-serv betting terminal, and had a drink. Excellent selection of craft beers, cocktails, specials, etc. We then went outside and sat on the upper deck. It was very nice. We then walked downstairs, sat outside, listened to the live band, and continued to relax. All very nice. We then went back inside and decided to have dinner in the bar. The menu is upscale -- octopus, Asian-Thai calamari, oysters, pasta dishes, steak, fish, and on and on. Check out the menu on their website.

Special note goes to the grilled octopus, the Asian-Thai calamari, and the short-rib meatballs. The chef sent out a special of small lamb meatballs, elegantly garnished and with a garlic-yogurt stye sauce.

In short, very nice! Very good food, very good ambiance and environment, and a very nice experience. An excellent addition to Monmouth Park. You don't have to go to the racetrack and spend a day at the races -- just go to the restaurant. However, for someone like me, it's a great way and a great place to end a great day at the races.

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

One of my horses, Slam Chowder, ran second in the last race at Monmouth Saturday. She should have won but got tired in the last 1/16th.

#3 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for posting this report, E.L.A.! We’re not into horse racing. However, we are always on the lookout for N.J. restaurants that have very good food and offer outdoor dining mid-week during the summer. We’re about half an hour from Blu Grotto, so it’s now on my “go to” list.

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for posting this report, E.L.A.! We’re not into horse racing. However, we are always on the lookout for N.J. restaurants that have very good food and offer outdoor dining mid-week during the summer. We’re about half an hour from Blu Grotto, so it’s now on my “go to” list.

You are very welcome. Check out the website. They certainly do have outdoor dining -- upstairs, on the upper deck/around the rotunda, downstairs in the bar area (where they have a bar menu), and the outside lounge area. Even if you are not into horse racing -- try it, go, and you'll have a great time. Even people who aren't into horse racing, go for the day or part of the day -- go over to the paddock and watch the horses walk, get their equipment, saddle, etc., put on, then watch them walk into the (outer) paddock/walking ring and get up close to the horses, watch them walk around the paddock and get ready to go out to the track, then watch the jockeys get a "leg up" and get on the horses, and go watch a couple of races. You might like it. If you end up wanting to go -- send me a PM!!!

Then you can head over to Blu Grotto. It will be a very nice day. If you end up not liking the track part of the day -- then next time you'll know to just go straight to Blu Grotto! LOL.

#5 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:04 AM

You are very welcome. Check out the website. They certainly do have outdoor dining -- upstairs, on the upper deck/around the rotunda, downstairs in the bar area (where they have a bar menu), and the outside lounge area. Even if you are not into horse racing -- try it, go, and you'll have a great time. Even people who aren't into horse racing, go for the day or part of the day -- go over to the paddock and watch the horses walk, get their equipment, saddle, etc., put on, then watch them walk into the (outer) paddock/walking ring and get up close to the horses, watch them walk around the paddock and get ready to go out to the track, then watch the jockeys get a "leg up" and get on the horses, and go watch a couple of races. You might like it. If you end up wanting to go -- send me a PM!!!

Then you can head over to Blu Grotto. It will be a very nice day. If you end up not liking the track part of the day -- then next time you'll know to just go straight to Blu Grotto! LOL.

And while near the paddock, make sure to call Jorge Navarro "Juiceman" :ph43r:

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#6 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

Be nice. He only buys prune juice from his long-time vet.

By the way, should have two horses running at Saratoga Aug, 1st - Money Laundering who won there last year and a first time starter. The two-year-old filly (Kitty's Legacy) is a full sister to Fourstar Crook who is a multiple graded stakes winner with earnings of almost $1.3 million.

#7 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Be nice. He only buys prune juice from his long-time vet.

By the way, should have two horses running at Saratoga Aug, 1st - Money Laundering who won there last year and a first time starter. The two-year-old filly (Kitty's Legacy) is a full sister to Fourstar Crook who is a multiple graded stakes winner with earnings of almost $1.3 million.

Good luck! Not sure if I'm heading up this summer as my group has planned a trip to Keeneland in October.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce