7 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:32 AM

This is a sloppy all over the place comedy-satire that sort of skewers the consumer economy and raisies a multitude of issues about capitalism, telemarketing (disclosure: I lasted about 3 hours in a telemarketing job), wage-slavery, racism, performance art.  Some in humorous ways, some not so much.  I'm reminded of Robert Downey the elder's work (say Putney Swope) but there's more here.  You get bits and pieces of Danny Glover and Terry Crews and lots of Lakeith Stanfield and Tessa Thompson (who FWIW may or may not be Janelle Monae's GF).  The writer-director Boots Riley has talent if he can harness it more consistently. One is also reminded of Gulliver's Travels to the land of the Houyhnhnms and perhaps of "The Running Man."  There are an awful lot of dick and tit references and showings for no particular reason but that's what sophomores may still like.  https://www.imdb.com...2/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

I agree with everything you wrote except for the "awful lot of...dick and tit...showings for no particular reason." By my count, there were only three scenes in which we saw any nudity. It wasn't essential, but it wasn't gratuitous, either.

I laughed a lot, but the movie's messiness bothered me. It was, as you say, about an awful lot of things, and because of that it never really gelled. There's room for sincerity in satire, but the balance was off - too much heart, not enough brain. It reminded me of Repo Man, not least because I wanted to run right out and buy the soundtrack, just like I did in 1984. And I spent way too much of the movie wondering where the hell I'd seen "Johnny" before. (Sense8. I had to look him up when I got home.)

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

Ah, I was counting puppet appendages as well.

Then that happened.

#4 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

That's legit. But I think something only counts as exposed flesh if it is in fact flesh.

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Then that happened.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

Let's face it, Boots Riley has already harnessed his talent plenty in his day job.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

A few more thoughts: I realize that it's a little ridiculous to hold this type of movie to a strict internal logic, but if speaking in a white voice is the key to telemarketing success, one would think that the white telemarketers - and Danny Glover's character - would be rocketing to riches. Yet they are not. And other than being able to affect that white voice, Cash doesn't show much of a talent for the job other than a progressively increasing confidence in his abilities, which I did not find all that convincing.

Detroit's outfits, her earrings in particular, deserve a shout-out. That black glove bikini was fucking hilarious, and reminded me of this:

czT1z6F.jpg

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

Yes, I see those earrings being a thing.  Her sign spinning, not so much.

Then that happened.