14 replies to this topic

#1 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'm going to find myself around New Haven a bit more for a bit. Are there any places worth recommending in or within an hour or so of New Haven?

Other than pizza, I mean.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#2 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

Many, yes. Depends on what youre looking for fried seafood, diners, ice cream, etc. Hartford is <50 mins north, for reference.
Immortal space traveler.

#3 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

Thinking more stuff to the south, like on the way to/from New York.

Fried seafood is good. Higher-end (fancy French food? or New American or whatever) is better.

What's good in New Haven?

#4 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't strongly recommend any of the non-pizza options in New Haven, unless you're spending other people's money and/or feel indifferent to poor value. The only place I would actively recommend is closed for renovations. I've had acceptable meals at olea and Roia. Harvest, the fine dining restaurant inside The Study hotel, is also okay. I've heard bad things about Union League but have never been. Soul de Cuba is good, very tiny though, and the last time I went was three years ago. For fried seafood, I would recommend the belly clams and fries at Stowe's in West Havenkeep in mind their hours, cash only. I would also recommend driving to Wentworth's in Hamden for ice cream, or Whitney Donut in Hamden. Glenwood Drive-In for hot dogs and some okay fried seafood.

I can't speak to higher-end between NYC and New Haven, because we never tried any of the places in Stamford, Greenwich, etc.too far to drive from New Haven back and forth for a likely-to-be mediocre expensive meal.  In my experience, CT fine dining is often a pale imitation of off-trend NYC stuff. I'm sure there are a few gems. For fried seafood, Overton's Seafood in Norwalk is pretty good, if you use your head, and there's a nice ice cream spot a few blocks away called Mr. Frosty's. Bloodroot in Bridgeport is a historic high-end vegetarian restaurant, I've heard that it's hit or miss but at the very least interesting. 
Immortal space traveler.

#5 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

Recently spent a bunch of time in New Haven proper. The pizza, of course, is famous and good and of a particular style that you may or may not like. I rate it Sallys > Pepe's > Modern > Bar but YMMV. Bar is the most pleasant place to sit, however.

Outside of pizza, we found the most success at August, which is a French-New American wine bar along State St. that, if you are being a cynic, is Brooklyn for the academics who went to grad school in NYC and want the same experience, but, if you are not being a cynic, has good enough small plates made in a very tiny kitchen and a lovely room and friendly service and a good wine list at fair prices (check the reserve list). It is charming, and that counts for a lot. There's Louis' Lunch for an unremarkable but famous little hamburger. Tarry Lodge is an okay New American-Italian place that Batali has, or had, juice in. Union League Cafe is the old guard place that is Frenchy and old and of the proximate quality that you would expect that kind of place in a town like New Haven to be which some may have an affinity for and some may not (though is strictly not as good as a those places in larger cities) but you can have fun there. I never made it to Olea and was told that Zinc was very bad. Oak Haven has a very nice bourbon list and we'll leave the rest at that. There is a Shake Shack. Wine Thief is a good wine shop both downtown and in East Rock.

You can get a nice enough sandwich at Atticus and the coffee at The Coffee Pedaler is quite good (Tandum, occasionally some scandi stuff). 

The museums and architecture are all fantastic. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#6 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

In my experience, CT fine dining is often a pale imitation of off-trend NYC stuff. I'm sure there are a few gems. 

Not wrong. 

#7 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

I guess I'm a cynic re August. But I also don't really like those places in NYC.

Book Trader also had fine sandwiches, although they keep changing the recipes, and not for the better.  

Check out the Cushing Brain Center. Without an ID, you can register at the circulation desk, I think.

If you have a car, for pizza, I would also recommend Roseland Apizza and Zuppardi's. 

The Owl Shop is a fun, very smokey cigar bar with a very large collection of bourbon and whiskey. They also have espresso and panini. 

Immortal space traveler.

#8 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

I guess I'm a cynic re August. But I also don't really like those places in NYC.

that's fair? i found it greater than the sum of the parts - charming and comfortably familiar, even if it's hard to pick out any one aspect as exemplary. the cultural appeal may not be so appealing to some. still, very pleasant. 

#9 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!

What's the place that's closed for renovations?

#10 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

Caseus. It was never amazing but they had good cheese and booze.
Immortal space traveler.

#11 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

Oh, I forgot Caseus. Was nice but I preferred August overall.

#12 Anónimo

Anónimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

The Union League Cafe is very good.
Buen provecho,
Anónimo

Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México

#13 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

I agree with adrians pizza ranking fwiw, and Id only recommend the first two.

#14 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

You dont like modern? The sausage and eggplant are good.
Immortal space traveler.

#15 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:45 AM

Im sure youre right but I really didnt like what I had.