10 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Another effort at duplicating Liguria Bakery "pizza" focaccia.    This time, used 18 hour dough, stretched out on an olive oiled pan, proofed an hour, sauced with canned tomato/olive oil + green onion.    The closest I've come yet.

Ready to bake

29826968148_1729ecc42b_z.jpg

After 20 minutes at 500

42793969275_d6694eb1bc_z.jpg

The crumb was a lot closer to what I am aiming for: open and not "bready".

42793950825_481ab10e14_z.jpg

I was not entirely thrilled by my sauce, but found that it tasted a lot closer to the real thing when the slab had cooled half an hour.    (We're an impatient lot!)   Will continue to work on this.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,710 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:47 AM

made a mistake while making pizza with 00 flour, today and accidentally found a nice texture for focaccia. add an egg. made the dough less bready. i add an egg for gf pizza dough and forgot that i was using wheat flour, since it's been about a decade and absentmindedly added the egg.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:01 AM

You can eat wheat now?  Hooray!!!!!!!!!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

I was not entirely thrilled by my sauce, but found that it tasted a lot closer to the real thing when the slab had cooled half an hour.    (We're an impatient lot!)   Will continue to work on this.

Looks great - oh, to be able to turn my oven on to 500℉; fall is just around the corner, one hopes. Interestingly, though I haven't tried it yet, I was able to find a pizza stone that fits into my Cuisinart...I will attempt some focaccia/pizza soon in the little oven that could.

Re: the sauce. I really like the Muir Glen product (or a very high quality true San marzano, obv), and I usually whir the can up with some olive oil and salt, before using it as you've used it above.  

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Um, where did you find that pizza stone?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

FWIW, 'joe', the dough was stretched out on a pan heavily coated with olive oil, like a quarter of a cup.    This not only helped with the shaping but had much to do with the proper texture of the bottom crust, that slightly oily but crisp crust we expect from focaccia.    It is baked right on that oily pan and not moved to a stone or other pan.   Try the stone, but you might want to wait for Fall and use your oven.    It was the first time I had made it this way and the results were startlingly better than baking it like pizza.

Interestingly, this morning the sauce had morphed into an almost exact replica of Liguria's, so I won't make too many changes in the future.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

This is the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is also this one:

https://www.amazon.c...or toaster oven

They are not the equivalent of, for instance, heating a 25 lb. baking steel in a conventional oven.

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

FWIW, 'joe', the dough was stretched out on a pan heavily coated with olive oil, like a quarter of a cup.    This not only helped with the shaping but had much to do with the proper texture of the bottom crust, that slightly oily but crisp crust we expect from focaccia.    It is baked right on that oily pan and not moved to a stone or other pan.   Try the stone, but you might want to wait for Fall and use your oven.    It was the first time I had made it this way and the results were startlingly better than baking it like pizza.

Interestingly, this morning the sauce had morphed into an almost exact replica of Liguria's, so I won't make too many changes in the future.

Yeah, when I bake focaccia, I generally do it on a rack as opposed to directly on the steel.  Depending on what I want the final product to be like, I'll sometimes move it to the stone after 10 minutes or so.

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

Family coming over this afternoon to celebrate my birthday.    So I made myself a cake.    Lemon with lemon frosting and gummies.   Husband says I'm nuts but he should already know that.    

It's my birthday, I'll have gummies if I want to, gummies if I want to...

42059359400_da4dfa6de1_c.jpg

Made two focaccias for them also, one with half no onion for the kids.

29998372038_49b17ac497_z.jpg

42963838715_5bd7592523_z.jpg

29998380488_a3dbbab889_z.jpg

Now have to start on the mains....

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#10 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Happy Birthday Voyager!

Enjoy your wonderful cake and time with your family!

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

Happy birthday, Voyager! I bet the grandkids will appreciate the gummies as much (or maybe even more) than you do!