5 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

Not sure where to put this, but here goes.   I have read about an eau de vie de cacao which results in the essence of chocolate for drinking or cooking.    It used to be available from an Italian producer who has since dropped it from his line.   So...we are currently soaking prime cocoa nibs in vodka.   I would think that the process could well take a few years.    

Do you think we'r on the right track or do you have a better plan?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

My mom's friend makes eau de vie. I will ask more about the process. I do know she prefers Everclear when she can get it, and so we gift her with some whenever we return from a state that sells it.

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Proper eau de vie is distilled from fruit, its not an infused spirit. Ive seen cacao eau de vie but theyre made from the fruit pulp not the nut and dont have much to do with chocolate dont know if that is what you have in mind.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

Cocoa and coffee can be unpredictable in terms of soluble components - an interesting top note of Ethiopian poo in your coffee blend can be a horrid aftertaste you can't shake in your alcoholic coffee extraction, and some berry-ish note in the cocoa may not seem so appealing after selective dissolution.

Anyway, give it a shake and sniff after a few days and you'll know where it's going. Eau de vie it won't be but it could be interesting.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thanks P, B and O.   (Sounds like a sandwich)    I know it is ersatz, but trying to conger something David Liebovitz wrote of some years back.   Will let this concoction have its way and say and will report anything interesting.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

One month old infusion:

44420935652_8bda064dcb_z.jpg    44420928052_f022df14fe_z.jpg

I'm very surprised and pleased with the result so far.    Rich chocolate aroma and flavor.    Will let it continue to steep just to see where it will go.    

It's usable now for cooking.    I'm thinking of lobster or prawns a la Roellinger.    Gotta think on this one.  

FWIW, we used excellent cocoa nibs.   Next time, excellent vodka.     ;)

eta, Libovitz' uses include white chocolate sorbet and individual chocolate/prune cakes

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.