58 replies to this topic

#46 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

I don't follow football at all - neither college or professional. However my brother is a college football maven and has won several betting tournaments around the country.

He told me several days ago that Clemson was a much better team and would be placing a huge bet. He had Alabama and Notre Dame about even and Clemson 14 points better than both. When Clemson beat ND by 27 points he said he expected Alabama to lose by the same margin. Well he was off by a point.

He told me the point spread on the game dropped 3.5 points from opening to closing. That's a huge number. He made two bets, one with the point spread and one betting Clemson outright, no points, but he got 8 to 5 odds.

Needless to say, he's taking me to dinner a few times over the next month.

#47 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:51 AM

The Process is still in place. Unfortunately even that can't guarantee winning the National Championship every year. But 5 out of the last 10 NCs does not suck.

But, it did guarantee that the 2019 recruiting class is #1  :)

#48 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:34 AM

I think you'll find somewhat remarkably that college sports, white still heinously corrupt, are no more corrupt than they ever were. Billy Cannon was almost certainly paid to play for example.

Additionally I'd surmise the quality at the top had always been this concentrated, is just that the playoff reduces the number of games worth watching.

Of course ironically I think we would have gotten ma Clemson Oklahoma Orange bowl and an Alabama ND sugar bowl under the old system and now we'd be left with a right over who was better. Not sure that was an improvement.

Right now Clemson and Bama feel inevitable but at some point Saban retires, and maybe Uga recruiting makes life hard for Clemson. It'll end.

Speaking of finances, how does it all work out?  If you take Alabama, for example, and add up all the salaries, equipment, medical, food, maintenance of the field, travel, recruiting expenses, etc. vs. TV revenue, ticket sales, alumni donations, concessions, etc., how does it come out?  Balanced?  Needing additional money from somewhere?  A surplus that funds other stuff at the school?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#49 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:43 AM

I think the surplus for bama is like forty million. 20 million for Clemson. And who knows how that's accounted.

The real issue is outside the P5 very few football teams breakeven. Even bad P5 programs.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#50 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:47 AM

So the outsiders do this in hopes of breaking into the P5?  Or they have some source of funds that will keep them afloat?

Then that happened.

#51 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:53 AM

If you are talking football only profits for 2017 (since we don't have 2018 numbers yet) AB is close. Football earned $108.2 million. After expenses - cleared $45.9 million. Unfortunately, because football has to carry our weaker programs, UA Athletics only cleared $15.6 million. The total amount made before all was said and done was $174.3 million. The only other sport that made a profit after expenses was Men's basketball ($5.1 million). Every other sport lost at least a million+ dollars. 

2018 will be down due to increased salaries; the beating we took on ticket sales for the Semi-finals and Finals ticket sales; other sports programs spending more without bringing in income. 

2019 will be worse because we are taking on large debt to renovate the football stadium, and start to plan/renovate the basketball arena. And other general updates to other facilities.

We are very lucky (so far--thank you CNS). It is very difficult for even very good P5 programs to float the boat for their Athletic Departments. I can't imagine how schools who do not have teams that generate serious revenue deal with their budgeting.

#52 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,659 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:59 AM

hey, the major sport at my college is ultimate frisbee!

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#53 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:00 AM

Seems very difficult.  I wonder how Texas will do if they are truly back.

Then that happened.

#54 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:01 AM

hey, the major sport at my college is ultimate frisbee!

Well, that's pretty economical.  So do you use the profits for overseas travels?

Then that happened.

#55 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

Depends on how oil does  :P . Seriously though...UT's alums donate incredible amounts of money. Always either at the top, or near the top of that list.

We are very lucky to have some incredibly wealthy alumni who love sports. But, oddly enough, our business school's donations rival those of athletics (which makes me proud).

#56 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:11 AM

Depends on how oil does  :P . Seriously though...UT's alums donate incredible amounts of money. Always either at the top, or near the top of that list.

We are very lucky to have some incredibly wealthy alumni who love sports. But, oddly enough, our business school's donations rival those of athletics (which makes me proud).

You really get into this, don't you?  I hope you are getting paid something.

Then that happened.

#57 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

Evelyn -

How’d the squash team do?

This space available… contact owner.

#58 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

:P

#59 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Michigan
Navy
Stanford
I have no idea what 4 is unless Carter counts as Georgia Tech.
ETA:
Oh. Yeah the 4th is hard. Not GT. I had to Google it.

Nice work, yes the last one is the most difficult.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce