Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

25 Lafayette Avenue 

Brooklyn NY

A new Mexican Restaurant opened around the corner from me and right across the street from BAM..  Its a in a small vibrant place.. The decor is shabby chic meets taco stand.. Aluminum tables with Spanish Advertisements on them.. There is a lovely outdoor seating area which is semi opened to Lafayette.. 

We sat outside this Sunday and purchased a bucket of 5 beers for 33 dollars.... Service was friendly except for the manager who was a little too intense.  But, hey, opening a new place, I don't know what;s on his plate.. But, I also shouldnt find myself concerned with it either.. 

The menu is small, a handful of tacos, some quesadillas, chips and guacamole.. They are not reinventing the wheel here.. 

One thing I can say is, the guacamole is spicy.. Not extremely spice but, there were chunks of jalapeno.. Larger than a dice. 

43907789821_5314932379_z.jpg

This was by far the best thing.. A little nod to Contramar with the tuna tostadas.. A nice version, complete with spicy mayo and then some other stuff thrown on.. It was good and refreshing. 

42098537670_ed5465fba4_z.jpg

Assortment of tacos.. The pastor and the carnitas were the best.. I would avoid the fried fish, the shrimp and the extremely dry chorizo tacos..   The kids really loved the rice and beans and I was impressed myself. 

30038356068_5b0b078e90_z.jpg

the pickled pepper was the only saving grace.. the seafood tasted of phosphate and fried.. Nothing too exciting.  A poor fish and chips. 

43858909332_43d1f062f1_z.jpg

In conclusion, the space is bright, airy and comfortable..   get what I got or try other things, avoid what I said to avoid and it will be good.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

I bought their tortillas (vista hermosa) fresh from the press recently, and I just couldn't figure out why if they go through all the effort of making them, they are as mediocre as they are. Shouldn't be that hard...

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

I bought their tortillas (vista hermosa) fresh from the press recently, and I just couldn't figure out why if they go through all the effort of making them, they are as mediocre as they are. Shouldn't be that hard...

Yes, forgot about their brands..  They have hot sauces, tortillas and beer.. The hot sauces are ok, the tortillas are average and the beer is on par with corona or modelo or something like that.  They are at least, fast and loose with the limes.   

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,740 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:34 PM

It's a mini-chain. Chelsea, East Village...

I just found everything super tiny. Those mini-tacos and microscopic tostadas, I can do much better elsewhere.

I am currently boosting TacoMix, which everyone knows, in the Barrio, and this great stand in the Aquaduck flea market; admittedly not handy. It's the place which looks like a colorfully painted wooden hut.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:41 AM

I suppose it was inevitable that, with all the residential development around there augmenting whatever value there is in being across the street from BAM (which now has a successful movie theater in-house in addition to its performance spaces), the next occupant of that space would be a chain.

So I'm unhappy, but not surprised.

I hope La Caye can hang on (or relocate).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

This place is total crap.  Good for large group dinners with gluten free millennials.