2 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

Windmill is the new venture from Sother Teague and Max Green et al. Sother is one of the mad geniuses behind the tiny Amor y Amargo (not that this place is much bigger) and Blue Quarter, was an opening hand at Booker & Dax, and evidently has even taken over the reins at Le French Diner on Orchard Street, for short stints while its owners went on vacation.

Windmill is a collaborative effort, with food being provided by the minds behind Le French Diner (a place we haven't been to in years). The menu is short and snacky, but last night we didn't eat, having just come from Kings County Imperial. 

I'll just say this - it's so nice to have an experienced bartender/host serve you, as Sother was behind the stick. We did start with two drinks from the menu ($13 each); Sig Eater had a Double Barrel Old Fashioned, while I had a lighter drink, a Summer Breeze, Pineau de Charentes based. Both delicious.  And then I asked for an after dinner drink, not boozy like a Saz, but bitter, and Sig asked for an amari based drink. We were served two delicious cocktails, mine shall remain nameless, as I don't remember its name (but it had Cynar in it), and hers was a Waterproof Watch, evidently a winning drink of Sother's, based on the Negroni, but with Amaro Montenegro, a favorite of ours.

Looking forward to a return visit, and trying some of the snacks - nice to have in the 'hood.

#2 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

Ha, we must have missed each other - we were there Saturday night too! Popped in around 10 / 10:30 on our way back to the 'hood from dinner at Txikito (which is still good, if anyone was concerned) - it was nice. Only had a couple drinks, a Rhum Smash and something I also forgot the name of that involved Calvados and Mezcal, both good. The latter maybe a smidge sweeter than I go for, but a nice medicinal / bitter backbone. Very reasonably priced with all drinks $13 - a price I suspect will not last more than a month or so.

Surprised it wasn't very busy - maybe a little over half full.

Didn't try any snacks but I've always found Le French Diner kind of uninteresting, so I wouldn't expect too much from them. 

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

Didn't try any snacks but I've always found Le French Diner kind of uninteresting, so I wouldn't expect too much from them. 

The snacks almost look more interesting than anything I've seen at Le French Diner over the years.

Back when Zucco was alive and running the place, we enjoyed it.  After his passing, I just never felt the same way about the food.