8 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:54 PM

Boom. Unmissable. I see it classed as a "comedy," and it's a comedy like "Get Out" or "Three Billboards" were comedies, so there are some very, very funny bits.

But overall it's not a bit funny of course.

Trying to find something non-obvious to mention, the director's extreme patience with some of the scenes. Speeches by Kwame Ture and by a fictional activist played by Harry Belafonte get extended screen time. This is Thucydides. As does a dance scene in a club. Lee is not in a hurry.

Great performances. If the Academy runs away from this, well...

#2 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:41 AM

It's the best (fiction) film by Spike Lee I've seen since Do the Right Thing. It would have been nice if Patrice had something to do besides speechify, but man, that last 20:00. You could've heard a pin drop in the theater.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

Yes indeed.  And I agree about Patrice: not really necessary to the plot or much developed as a character, lovely though Laura Harrier is.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:53 PM

A powerful work.  Well-conceived, well-directed, well-edited, and well-acted.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:31 AM

why is Spike fronting for "the man"? Stallworth was there to infiltrate and disrupt Black revolutionaries more than he was there to disrupt the Klan. the Klan and similar organizations were often used in an extrajudicial way by local police and the Feds to disrupt Black revolutionaries. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:04 AM

The film is not told in that way.  In the picture, Stallworth infiltrates the Klan.  Yes, he got that assignment because he spied on a Black Women's political group.  But his focus (and Lee's) is the Klan.  David Duke plays a prominent role.  No question that the FBI and local police agencies infiltrated various political groups of all sorts.

Then that happened.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,605 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

In the movie, the Klan investigation gets shut down at the end, implicitly by higher law enforcement authorities.  That's my memory anyway.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

The film is not told in that way.  In the picture, Stallworth infiltrates the Klan.  Yes, he got that assignment because he spied on a Black Women's political group.  But his focus (and Lee's) is the Klan.  David Duke plays a prominent role.  No question that the FBI and local police agencies infiltrated various political groups of all sorts.

i know that it's not told that way in the story, but i am surprised that there has been little discussion about why Stallworth was there in the first place. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

A number of folks have been picking at the film, among them Boots Riley.  Crabs in a barrel.

Then that happened.