Thanks...and sorry to hear about Ibai.  

#17 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

If you go to the Isabella Stuart Gardener (one of the best museums in Boston) they actually have a pretty good sit down restaurant.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:32 PM

Select Oyster Bar was a disappointment. The Beach Point oysters from Barnstaple were outstanding, but a $40 halibut (corrected) was so over cooked it was like chewing a plank of wood.

The food came so fast I didn't get very far with the wine. It's located just off a strip of middlebrow restaurants along Boylston Street, which have no pretensions, but some of which can cook fish.

#19 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:09 PM

My meal at Select was also subpar. Beausoliel oysters that were sad. Over cooked octopus. The white anchovies over heirloom tomatoes was nicely balanced and tasty. I was lucky re the speed of the dishes arriving. It was pouring rain when I went, so the restaurant was basically deserted. I ordered dish by dish at my leisure.

Today I went to Neptune at opening for lunch. Ended up with a 1 1/4 hour wait. So to pass time I went to Union Oyster House for a dozen oysters. They only had two kinds available. Both from CT. Very tasty.

At Neptune I had some lovely Beausoliels. Many times superior to the ones at Select. Also a lovely scallop crudo with smoked cashew aioli and huckleberries. I had wanted fresh sea urchins they sometimes have at the raw bar. Unfortunately none to be had. They did have uni toast-which very disappointing. Absolutely dripping grease and zero flavor of uni. Service was wonderful. Especially considering there were some real *sshats seated next to me at the bar who were thisshort of needing to be tossed due to their crude commentary and comments about the (female) staffers.

I also enjoyed getting to catch up with Wilfrid over drinks. We came to the conclusion that time really does fly 🙃.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

Yes indeed. What a pleasure.

The Select was slammed when I was there, before the rains came. Seems they can overcook food under any conditions.

#21 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

Have to put in a tout for Nathalie Wine Bar in the Fenway area. I had a quick glass of rose there. Very charming space, if a bit small. I believe all wines by female producers.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#22 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:57 PM

Sounds like some very disappointing meals at these oyster places

Sounds like the oysters are excellent … or they aren t

You aren t going to want to hear this … but I think you ordered wrong

@Ev – I m not referring to your Select Oyster oyster order… I think you just got unlucky on that one

@Wilf – if you say your fish was overcooked then I m sure it was … but I m also sure it wasn t turbot.

So what fish did you actually order ?

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,770 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:18 AM

You are right: I was snoozing after some long days and late nights, and halibut it was.