Photo

Why We Can't Have Good Things in NYC (at a reasonable price)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:18 AM

Maybe because assholes will pay $75 for a watermelon?

“We don’t want to rely so much on a bunch of giant shitty fucking farms that are serving most of the restaurants in New York City their fucking meat, but at the same time we don’t want to rely on a bunch of crazy weird lab processed, burgers and shit that are far off from working with a farmer as possible,” Horowitz says. Treating fruits and vegetables with the same care as meat is a logical step. The watermelon came into play because it can be “big and meaty and crazy looking in centerpiece, like a big roast,” he says.

No, it's not meaty.

It's not like a roast.

It is big, however. And $75.

And anyway, there's always this:

He ends up feeling bad selling a $75 watermelon if it’s just two people and instead recommends a smoked cantaloupe burger, a $16 sandwich where the melon is smoked in the same process as the watermelon. People occasionally take him up on it.

#2 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:51 AM

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Imagine how happy that dog would be if that watermelon was smoked.  And if it were meat.

#4 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

So happy. Gotta say, though, $75 watermelon aside, the menu at Ducks looks pretty good to me. Have you eaten there?

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

I have not, no.

#6 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

I split their goat neck once and enjoyed it, and years ago a friend raved about the brisket they make on Tuesdays. Did you see their large format options, though? They're serving cold-smoked whole wild hares for $90...

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

I've always wanted to go to Ducks.  They must secretly think the $75 watermelon is hilarious.  (Maybe they're bitter about the closing of their deli in FiDi.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

I dunno. There's a minimum price any restaurant needs to charge per person per entree to make seating them worth it - and if the watermelon feeds four, that's $19 per person give or take, less than some of the other entrees. If five people shared it, it'd be the least expensive entree on the menu. For the size of the dish (and given that it takes about a week to make) it actually seems quite reasonable to me.

I do think they could be doing a little more with it - like, pickle the rind and serve it on the side or something. 

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:26 PM

I split their goat neck once and enjoyed it ....They're serving cold-smoked whole wild hares for $90...

IMO, this is more exciting in print than on the plate.    Smoked, dry, pungent, stringy meat, tiny bones, I'll pass.    Now goat neck, that's worth considering.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.