34 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

I'm finally convinced we "need" one.   What brand and features should we look for?    

I'm looking at Cuisinart Steam Convection on sale at Williams Sonoma for $300.     Is this the right track and price line?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

Cuisinart Combination Oven!  Crucial!  The steam feature is GREAT.

(Meaning:  YEAH.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Price seems good for now.  They used to be cheaper (or at least available for less).  But so did everything else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

As for "need", believe it or not, to me this purchase was life-changing (in a good way).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

What are you using it for?

Breville Smart Oven Pro (which I have) is a little larger than the CSO but no steam feature. And the Air model I think is even bigger, and the literature says you can use it for dehydrating. But it's also twice-ish as much as the Pro.

If I were to get a different countertop oven, I'd consider an Oster French door one. They're taller, so can fit larger roasts (or higher rising breads or Bundt cakes) than my breville.

I like my Breville. I think sneak and jtf have the cso and really like it. And I know people who have the Oster French door model who really like it. I suspect any of those would be fine, so size and any specific specialty functions you want will be the deciding factor(s) for you.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

You NEED the steam feature.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

The steam feature is AWESOME.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

Cuisinart Steam - with a BB & B coupon, you can probably get it for 20% off.  

It really does a great job, with simple stuff like toast and reheating perfectly, to breads and more. 

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Realize it's rather dilettante, but husband daily reheats lunch stuff for himself, often bready stuff, which turns to leather in the microwace, or thing that would heat well in the oven but take too long in a hotel-pan sized Viking,    Like we "need" this oven to reheat croissants! :lol:

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

Yes, it's perfect for reheating breads and the like. So much better than the microwave.

The not-so-obvious feature is you actually get crispy skin on things like chicken, when steam roasted.

#11 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

Impetuous Saturday Morning.  TV moved.   Vinegar collection edited.   Cuisinart S-C oven ordered from Amazon, $235 inc free shipping.   Here Thursday.    Thanks, MFF.

(Also, a loaf of warm banana bread.    This is definitely bread, not cake.    Thanks for this also.)

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#12 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,249 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, sounds like steam oven is ideal for you.

Re: reheating bread, if you happen not to have a steam oven, wetting the bread (quickly passing it through running tap water) and then putting it in the toaster oven works just fine, too. Maybe not with Wonder Bread, but with crusty breads like French, or German rye buns, it works really well.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:31 PM

Impetuous Saturday Morning.  TV moved.   Vinegar collection edited.   Cuisinart S-C oven ordered from Amazon, $235 inc free shipping.   Here Thursday.    Thanks, MFF.

(Also, a loaf of warm banana bread.    This is definitely bread, not cake.    Thanks for this also.)

That's a very good price.  There's a learning curve, to be sure, but you'll have fun getting there.

#14 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:16 AM

So the beast just arrived.   I was impressed with the paper mache packing material as opposed to cubic feet of plastic foam.   It 's now installed on the counter, between our beloved antediluvian microwave and weeks-old new toaster.   I can only think of the current commercial that compares Fred Flintstone with George Jetson,   Heh.   That's our life!    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

You can relegate that new toaster to storage - the CSO makes better toast that pretty much all toasters.