34 replies to this topic

#16 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

You warned me about the learning curve.   I've set the clock.   Am staring at the supposed "quick start guide".    Realize that I hate multi-function buttons.

Any suggestions for beginner dishes/foods?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Any suggestions for beginner dishes/foods?

Toast  :D  :D ??

Steam roast 4 chicken thighs, skin on?

#18 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

Toast. I've never had toast made in any toaster oven that's as good as toast made with a proper toaster, so I'm curious if you will eventually follow jtf's suggestion.

BTW, what kind of toaster?

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

I guess you've never made toast in a CSO then?  Its water tightness keeps the toast moist in the middle, while getting crispy outside; much different than a standard toaster.

#20 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

Not a cso. I have a Breville and had heard from others that it would make good toast, but I haven't found that to be true. It may be the bread I use (German rye breads, usually), but I get better browning from the cheapo toaster at work than I do from the Breville, and I think it has to do with proximity to the heating elements. And since cso doesn't bring the bread any closer to the elements than any other toaster oven, I'm curious as to how much better it really toasts as compared to a toaster.

#21 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:38 AM

The virgin bake.    Rather crappy pizza, but this last slice was gone within 5 minutes of this shot.   Just used simple bake function for this first experiment.   it could have baked longer.    The Viking oven at 500 degrees does is faster.    

43041859490_cac8ba84bb_c.jpg

i was warned, there will definitely be a learning curve, but an interesting one. 

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,139 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:44 AM

The Combi is only faster on steam.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

I think it depends (how fast) and there is, as you note, a nice learning curve.

I usually preheat the CSO for about 5 minutes (your Viking must take 1/2 hour) before making breads or pastries. For pizza and breads, there are cute little pizza stones you can get that will give you better results (just like a full-size pizza stone will give you better results in a full-sized oven).

And make sure the oven rack is in the proper position for baking. 

I also don't necessarily think it's a great idea to compare a $300 oven with one that might cost $5000 or more. There are plenty of pizza people who will tell you that no home oven, no hack, no stone or steel, will give you the same results as a real pizza oven.

#24 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

I think the real difference is where you reheat pizza. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

I think the real difference is where you reheat pizza. 

Indeed.  Or reheat practically anything.

#26 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

I think most things reheat better stovetop than in any oven, with the exception of crusty breads (which you spritz with water before reheating in the oven or, I assume, just use a combination of steam and bake with the cso). I think pizza especially reheats better stovetop (caveat being that I don't have a cso).

(I'm not anti-cso, lest anyone think so, and I've considered getting one. It just wouldn't suit my household at the moment, as it would likely be too complicated for anyone else in the house. But I do like reading about direct comparisons, like toast in a toaster vs in the cso, or reheated pizza stovetop vs cso, so I get an even better sense of the other abilities of the cso. I already have a pretty good idea of how well it bakes and roasts.)

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,139 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:35 PM

What you need to understand is that the steam feature doesn't function the way you think it does. It doesn't moisten what's being heated. Rather, it more efficiently conducts heat. So its main function isn't to make things moist (it doesn't even do that: it doesn't obviate moistening aging bread you want to reheat, for example), but rather to make them crisp.

It's paradoxical.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

Indeed again.  And as far as reheating pizza, the best way is on a preheated stone, in my opinion.

#29 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

I am so appreciating the input on this thread!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#30 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

Indeed again.  And as far as reheating pizza, the best way is on a preheated stone, in my opinion.

We never have leftover pizza.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.