17 replies to this topic

#1 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

All this talk of Atoboymix got me hopped up to find something similar, only not a tasting menu, and also not expensive. Soogil Lim used to be the executive chef at Hanjan, which is an offshoot of Danji, a restaurant I like. So! Soogil it was. Every single thing in the Garden and Sea sections of the menu looked good to me, especially the Spicy Soft Tofu (aka soondubu jigae, one of my favorite foods). It's a fancypants version, petite, the broth poured at table-side.The seafood was of better quality than the stuff you get at BCD, but other than that, the dish wasn't so far off from any decent version. Except that it was much prettier, and devoid of raw egg - sacrilege! Do not be fooled by the mention of "tofu flan," as this is simply menuspeak for silken tofu.

4VMRlfI.png

I tried to convince my sister that ordering two dishes that had tofu as a main ingredient was inadvisable. Nevertheless, she persisted, and thus, tofu salad. I was not crazy about it, not least because this is not what I expect when I order a salad. It was a little like one of those bowls I used to get at Dojo when I was poor(er). Only in log form. It was fine. Whatever.

Ty879Zo.png

Next we had the "Monk Starr" (is that "Starr" a reference to something? I don't get it). Little medallions of monkfish, purportedly with lobster sauce. However, note how much this broth resembles the soondubu broth. I am suspicious. Anyway,it was very good. Also very pretty. Look at those weird red threads! I never figured out what the hell they were.

YSLUwTM.png

I was still starving, and probably should've ordered a bowl of rice or something, but instead we got the eel, which turned out to be the best dish of the night. No pictures, unfortunately, because I attacked it as soon as it was set down.

And here's a question for the folks who are knowledgeable about liquor licenses. Soogil's cocktail menu is limited to beer, wine, sake AND SOJU, which is a distilled spirit. I thought that licenses were either beer/wine or liquor. If soju is a'ight, how come gin is not? Some ABV trickery?

Anyway, here's my drink, the wasabi margarita, with juniper-infused soju and lemon. And salted cucumber, for the win.

BUSe92r.png

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

I'm pretty sure it's some ABV trickery.

By the way, I also couldn't figure out what those red threads were, when they were on a lot of dishes we had at Hunan Slurp!

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

The red threads are shredded dry red pepper. 

https://www.google.c...w=2400&bih=1119

Soogil thankfully remains our worst meal of 2018 so far. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:41 PM

OH, cool, thanks!

#5 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

The red threads are shredded dry red pepper. 

https://www.google.c...w=2400&bih=1119

Soogil thankfully remains our worst meal of 2018 so far. 

Harsh! What'd you have? And thanks for ID'ing the red threads.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

We took their short rib as the main course. As I recall, it's presented on the bone to make it look big although it's really just normal entree size. Like most other items, the modernization of the cuisine involved removing ingredients with the result of short rib cooked in very sweet soy sauce. I was hoping the side of white rice would make this edible but the rice had spent so long in the rice cooker it had turned into mush, so didn't eat any of it. This followed also overly sweet stir fry noodles left uneaten, a dish of something I can best describe as a little bit of cabbage plated in a ring, and the best dish of the evening - Spanish mackerel on top of rice wrapped in some leaf (not really practical to eat the fish and rice together, but tasty). The soondubu jigae was nice but really didn't stand out compared to nicer ktown versions except in its smallness.

At least the (godawful) waitress brought us the wrong bottle of riesling (out of two options) which turned out to only be 7% abv so we didn't feel too bad about second dinner.

All of this was after some weeks earlier they called me at 4pm to confirm a reservation only to then call again at 7pm to cancel it because there was a bit of snow and they were closing early.

#7 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

Yikes. Nothing we had was sweet, thankfully. And our server didn't do anything either very right or very wrong - she was just there. Sorry you had such a lousy experience. I don't think Soogil is worth recommending or returning to, but I don't regret eating there.

#8 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

The soondubu jigae was nice but really didn't stand out compared to nicer ktown versions except in its smallness.

OT, but care to recommend a seafood soondubu, other than BCD or Cho Dang Gol, with which I'm already familiar? Winter is coming.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Those would be exactly my recommendations  :)

#10 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

Ok, then! Thanks.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yikes. Nothing we had was sweet, thankfully. And our server didn't do anything either very right or very wrong - she was just there. Sorry you had such a lousy experience. I don't think Soogil is worth recommending or returning to, but I don't regret eating there.

Yeah, I figured you can have a better meal there but couldn't really see how it would be good enough to come back. 

#12 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:11 AM

Soogil's cocktail menu is limited to beer, wine, sake AND SOJU, which is a distilled spirit. I thought that licenses were either beer/wine or liquor. 

At some point they added soju to the law books - it's covered by the regular Restaurant Wine license, as long as it's no higher then 24% ABV, 

https://www.nysenate...ion/laws/ABC/81

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

My biggest failed meal of the year has been at BCD tofu house. I recall liking The soondubu at jeju but I haven’t been in 6 months.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#14 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Don't have any traditional recommendations. Jeju's soondubu is great, though. Also petite, but with mussels and a sun-dried tomato broth it's almost reminiscent of bouillabaisse.

#15 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks to you both for the heads-up re Jeju. I have added it to my giant map o' restaurants.