27 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

It could be worse - Ginza Six is 50% larger than Hudson Yards and as far as I can tell offers no mortadella ta all.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Miracle on the Hudson - Part Deaux (without the plane or the water of course.)

Just found out - the Hudson Yards designers also designed the Boeing Max 8 as a side job in between gigs.

#18 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,073 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Idk. Having been to a bunch of massive Tokyo developments and Hudson Yards in the last week I think I'd take Ginza Six if I had to take one. Theyre both sterile but at least one feels like a future.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#19 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

Haven't been to Hudson Yards yet. What I like about Ginza Six is that side bus entrance that is both a mouth and a rectum for Chinese tour groups. But I'm hard pressed to think of anything good about those mega developments. 

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

Billionaire Stephen Ross Insists Hudson Yards Is For Everyone. And He’s Unhappy That No One Believes Him

Ross defends the 18-million-square-foot project, which is being subsidized by an estimated $1.4 billion in tax breaks and $4 billion in other investments from the city, as “not a neighborhood for the rich,” despite condo prices that will range from $4 million to upwards of $32 million. “It’s not a separate enclave,” he says, a claim that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny, at least so far.

#21 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,073 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

Haven't been to Hudson Yards yet. What I like about Ginza Six is that side bus entrance that is both a mouth and a rectum for Chinese tour groups. But I'm hard pressed to think of anything good about those mega developments.

Nah. There is nothing good about them, but at least the Japanese ones are trying.

#22 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,073 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

Interesting note. Everyone in Japan talks about how many tourists are coming and yet relative to population arrivals remain really low relative the US, France, Italy, Spain.

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

Well, the growth rate has been astounding (600% in 15 years, most of that in 5 years) but also concentration is a bit worse than in other places both due to lack of infrastructure and due to over 70% of tourists coming from herd mentality countries, so they are all going to be along Omotesando dori at the same time and they're all going to want their picture taken outside Fuglen at sunset with the same cup of coffee as some Korean actress, even if they don't like coffee at all.

#24 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,073 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

I mostly agree with you, I was just surprised by the data. When I was in Morioka last week they were talking about tourist arrivals like it was Carcassonne.

FSA announced something pretty big today so I might be spending a bunch more time in Japon Profonde.

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

it's a mall. its a cruise ship, its a big space. all of these places are starting to remind me of like hidden rebel cities in sci fi movies.  I'm into it because, i have a kid and new york has a winter.  Asia has a mall culture or indoor culture and I am not a fan of that either. but people like it.  it's techno. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,277 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:32 AM

I thought it was a bologna sandwich.

For myself I have only surveyed this development from the extensive 45th floor terraces of a global software giant, while being plied with lobster and champagne, so I don’t know what people are griping about.

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,277 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:35 AM

it's a mall. its a cruise ship, its a big space. all of these places are starting to remind me of like hidden rebel cities in sci fi movies. I'm into it because, i have a kid and new york has a winter. Asia has a mall culture or indoor culture and I am not a fan of that either. but people like it. it's techno.

Oh yeah, when it was going up I remember walking through it and finding it very Blade Runner.

(Okay the Gatsby experience wasn’t literally the only time...)

#28 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

...but remember the alternative was a football stadium that would have been used eight days a year!!!