1 reply to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

The Museum of Street Art (MOSA) opens today in the new citizenM hotel on Bowery.

What makes it interesting? Well, I guess you have to like street art. And if you do, then you probably know the story of 5Pointz, the Long Island City warehouse that was covered in graffiti; 5 years ago, the graffiti disappeared overnight, whitewashed away by the owner and developer. The artists sued, and recently were awarded $6.7mm by a federal judge. The decision is, of course, being appealed.

So last night I'm sitting at the bar at Bacaro, and both the owner/bartender (who at one time was a street muralist, until he got arrested on the lower east side) and I are talking to another guy sitting at the bar, who turns out to be one of the graffiti artists whose work was erased at 5Pointz,

Esteban del Valle.  We have a nice conversation; tells us he was selected to be one of the artists whose work will be on permanent display in the new MOSA. I know nothing about Esteban, but some of his work looks pretty good.

The museum will be open to the public, free of charge.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,025 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:23 PM

I remember 5Pointz. I missed the court judgment.