1 reply to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

Maite opened maybe last year.  It's another example of a pedigreed chef returning to her ethnic roots -- here, Colombian -- but tricking them up with exemplary Euro-style kitchen technique.  Here, she also fuses the base cuisine -- mainly, in this case, with Italian (the chef worked at Il Buco), with some Basque accents (the chef has family in Euskadi).

I would not call this a destination.  But if you're in Morgantown (nobody calls it that anymore), it's very well worth a visit.  Very very well.

One thing that's odd is that the food is kind of spicy.  I did not experience that in actual Colombia.  Or actual Italy.  Or the actual Basque Country.

Good cocktails.  Great, small, well-edited wine list.

This is the kind of place to go to when you're sick of seeing the same menu everywhere.  This stuff you don't see anywhere else.  It's prepared with skill and a good deal of integrity.  The welcome is warm.  Prices are reasonable.  (NOT cheap:  reasonable.)

What are you waiting for -- if you're in the neighborhood?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

The barman of my favorite east village pub lives on that block. He speaks fondly enough of it that I went six months ago. Terrific. Great service in particular.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bushwick, Colombian Fusion