25 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

The French chide Americans for cutting off fat from grilled meats which they maintain carry flavor.    i.e cut a bite from a chop including a portion of meat and of fat.    It works.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT'S WRONG WITH US???????????
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

The problem I have with goat fat is that, at least in my experience, it tends to be much more gristly than lamb fat.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:51 AM

(I'd be ready to dive back into goatiness if I didn't have this whole Salt Marsh lamb belly sitting in my freezer.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,688 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:58 AM

here are the only goat recipes you need. there is no need to thank me--not that i'm expecting any thanks from you fucking ingrates.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

(I'd be ready to dive back into goatiness if I didn't have this whole Salt Marsh lamb belly sitting in my freezer.)

I had it recently. It's very good but with quite strong grain feed aftertaste.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:00 PM

I guess I'm happy when domestic lamb has any kind of succession of flavors (I didn't find that aftertaste unpleasant -- but in some moods I even think I sometimes prefer grain-fed beef).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

While we're taking about lamb breast, I'd just like to say that the Poitrine d'Agneau Sainte-Menehould I made recently, and the faux Stroganoff I made with the leftover parts that didn't get Menehouldized, were among the best things I've ever made (however little that might be saying).

And I take credit (me and Elizabeth David and Simon Hopkinson, my co-authors).

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:52 PM

I guess I'm happy when domestic lamb has any kind of succession of flavors (I didn't find that aftertaste unpleasant -- but in some moods I even think I sometimes prefer grain-fed beef).

I had roast lamb at a conference buffet in Barcelona. Yep. With a little wild mushroom quiche.

#24 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:57 PM

I think you mean beef that hasn’t been finished on corn as I believe The corn eaten by beef also considered grain.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

Beef, yes (also because of how feed is handled so cows can digest it and the benefits to marbling / texture), but harder for me to handle with lamb.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:33 AM

I nearly wrecked a goat leg from Luis. I put it in a huge pan to simmer gently in stock with aromatics prior to roasting.

Then I fell asleep.

By the time I woke up, it had somehow reached a rolling boil. When I pulled it out it felt like rubber to the knife’s touch.

But I baked it very slow in foil until it relaxed again. A few chewy bits, but mostly fine (and much more tender than the lamb at Frenchette, just saying).