21 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

I’ve got a ton in the garden, any suggestions that aren’t of the fried variety?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Relish? I've never made it, but I like it on farmer sausage burgers.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Only thing I can think of is pickled. My mom always used to have a jar of pickled green tomatoes in the fridge - the Ba-Tampte variety, and they were good!

#4 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

jam or relish really is the best way to go imo

#5 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

I'm beginning to think I will need green ideas, too. I have a bunch and if we don't get sun soon, they will need to get picked tiny and green. Maybe pickled--might be good in bloody marys!

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,164 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

Biting into one offers pretty much the most excitement they have to offer, but you only really want to do this once a year. 

Relishes and stuff, also use as you would tomatillo in salsa with Avocado. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:31 AM

I've made this recipe for pickled green tomatoes from Splendid Table; it's pretty good. If you've got grape tomatoes, though, you should definitely make tomolives:

Pack the tomatoes snugly into a jar. Add 4 cloves garlic and a tsp of pickling spice. Bring ¼ c. salt, a pint of Heinz white pickling vinegar, and a pint of water to a boil. Pour over tomatoes, let cool, and store in the fridge. The Temple Bar in Manhattan served an "old South martini," garnished with tomolives, which is where I first had them. They're also great in bloody marys.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

cut them in half, coat in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them then eat 'em or whir them in a vitamix to make a sauce

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:57 AM

or make them into a soup

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

I've made this recipe for pickled green tomatoes from Splendid Table; it's pretty good. If you've got grape tomatoes, though, you should definitely make tomolives:

Pack the tomatoes snugly into a jar. Add 4 cloves garlic and a tsp of pickling spice. Bring ¼ c. salt, a pint of Heinz white pickling vinegar, and a pint of water to a boil. Pour over tomatoes, let cool, and store in the fridge. The Temple Bar in Manhattan served an "old South martini," garnished with tomolives, which is where I first had them. They're also great in bloody marys.

My father (he should rest in peace) first turned me onto tomolives, which were always in their fridge.

He loved them, served on the side, with his martinis (properly made with Beefeater's).

#11 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

I pickle some every year, in thick slices,using Sean Brock’s pickling recipe,which is my favorite...good in a samwich with other pickled things,smoked sprats ,and mayo.
Stung by Nettles

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

I was rearranging my cookbook shelves, and this recipe popped open...

43532400020_601e7d8f9d_c.jpg

From Kenneth Lo Consulting Editor - The Complete Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking -1979

It actually looks pretty good and reasonably authentic; a little pale dry sherry subbing for Shaoxing wine. I doubt it would hurt to throw a splash of soy in there either. But here I basically see the unripened tomatoes as a sub for another Asian veg with similar characteristics.

#13 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

My father (he should rest in peace) first turned me onto tomolives, which were always in their fridge.

He loved them, served on the side, with his martinis (properly made with Beefeater's).

I love them too. I am generally a fan of anything olive or olive-adjacent, like pickled caperberries, which the Peekamoose Restaurant in Big Indian serves in THEIR house martini.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

Indeed...I like a nice 3:1 or 2:1 or Fitty-Fitty "Martini" (thanks, Audrey), with orange bitters, expressed lemon peel (then discarded), and a plate on the side with various fun pickly things (tomolives, olives, caperberries, etc.).

#15 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

I made this last night. I couldn't resist trying one this morning and they already taste divine!

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.