#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

https://www.sorrelrestaurant.com

We finally got around to trying Sorrel Restaurant, hoping to find a new neighborhood "fall into".     I was somewhat put off by the credit card requirement for reservations, and moreso by the 48 hour cancellation deadline.    (Otherwise $125 charge.)     Sorrel is in the space previously occupied by Nico which we visited fairly often.    

We requested a favorite table but it was set for three and they refused us.    I noticed it was not occupied the entire time we were there.    Other than that, service was cordial and seamless.    

The upscale bistro menu is simple and fairly interesting.    I started with 4 oysters with pretty standard mignonette sauce and pretty good sorrel ice.    Husband had 3 fried polenta balls and said they were "ok",    I ordered a squid pasta in which I could identify no squid, while husband had a oxtail ragu lasagna that was equally meh.     These were both examples of menu descriptions serving up far more than the actual plates.   Stunning to look at but little more than one of MFF's midweek pantry pastas.    If as good.   No bread service, so I asked if I could have "a scrap of bread" as I closed in on the bottom of my soup-plate.   Our waiter apologized and said that they didn't have any bread but that I could have an order of foccacia (at $8) but it would take over 5 minutes to warm it up.   I passed.

Husband insisted on ordering a dessert to share and it was indeed the plate of the evening.     Buttermilk sorbet with fresh fig, coconut caramel plus...a lot better than it reads.

All in all, very good service, other than a second waiter's snatching my plate when I had barely finished and before husband had finished his.    A big no-no in our opinion.    Decent wine by the glass.    

A pleasant enough evening but nothing to return for.    I can make a heck of a lot of pretty good pasta for $23 a portion.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.