28 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

The relish tray may be thought of as a remnant of different times and locales. But, I like it and I often make a "relish tray," because I believe it's a great appetizer/hors d'oeuvres, and it goes wonderfully with apéritifs as well.

When I'm cooking for just Significant Eater and myself, I'll make each of us an individual tray plate - that way neither of us gets shortchanged if one of us turns our back ;) !

30772951427_8ecec84aac.jpg

From the top, clockwise, carrot sticks, celery sticks, pickled beets, pickled turnips, a cherry tomato, green olives in the middle. (I def could've drained the beets a little better).

Both the pickles are from The Pickle Guys, not some hipster pickle making joint in Brooklyn.

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

Agreed, and open to endless riffs.    A trip back in time, for sure.    My d-i-l had never seen one before.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

YUM
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

Agreed, and open to endless riffs.    A trip back in time, for sure.    My d-i-l had never seen one before.

She probably has no idea what a relish tray (the dish itself) looks like - though everyone used to have at least one for serving.

I'm also getting into home-made ranch dressing and wedge salads - some of this stuff is great. I make the ranch with all sorts of high-quality dried herbs and spices, and it's delicious.

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

She probably has no idea what a relish tray (the dish itself) looks like - though everyone used to have at least one for serving.

I'm also getting into home-made ranch dressing and wedge salads - some of this stuff is great. I make the ranch with all sorts of high-quality dried herbs and spices, and it's delicious.

Indeed.   I really like Momofuko's pickled ramp version (paired in the book with pork shoulder chop) which I make with cocktail onions since pickled ramps are not as readily available in SF;

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

We prepare a lot of relish trays but only in the summer. Most people I know have never heard a tray of vegetables referred to as a relish tray.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:43 PM

so this is like 'merican bagna cauda or something? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:50 PM

Except no bagna cauda.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

Some other source of umami I'm guessing, like a three way blend of mayo, sour cream, and velveeta? I know I can google it.

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:02 PM

Relish trays as they began had no sauce.   No dips.   Just carrots, celery sticks and usually black olives.    A very '40s thing.   

I guess the olives provided the umami, as if that were even a concept at the time.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:45 AM

You could maybe add some green pepper slices.  Incidentally, are relish trays the precursors of crudite platters?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#12 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

You could maybe add some green pepper slices.  Incidentally, are relish trays the precursors of crudite platters?

I would think so, but there was a long gap between them.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

Relish trays as they began had no sauce.   No dips.   Just carrots, celery sticks and usually black olives.    A very '40s thing.   

I guess the olives provided the umami, as if that were even a concept at the time.  

Yep - no such thing as "umami" back then...I think green olives were acceptable as well. 

I would think so, but there was a long gap between them.

A loooooong gap, and the cruditė platters that I dealt with in my years in California, kinda sucked compared to a real relish tray.  I disdain both raw broccoli and cauliflower, and they tended to be loaded with both.

Pinzimonio, one of the Italian crudité platters, is so much better, as it contains neither of those heinous raw vegetables, and is accompanied by some nice olive oil, sea salt and pepper. I sometimes serve it in lieu of a relish tray.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

So basically this is taking a bunch of raw and pickled vegetables and 

#15 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

As 'joe' suggested, there were special small platters for relish trays.   Kind of like a football shaped French asparagus plate, i.e., partitioned lengthwise into three sections to separate carrots, celery and olives.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.