144 replies to this topic

#31 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Wow, though I can't imagine any dress being anything but little on him.

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,138 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:52 AM

It would be a big black dress on most people.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,138 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:20 AM

Either this thread or city shorts.

Dining at Daniel recently, I wore a tie. I believe I wore a tie at Ca L’Isidre last year. When does one wear ties in restaurants any more?

I quite enjoyed doing so. I have, after all, racks of lovely ties. These days, I get to wear them when appearing on-stage to host awards, and similar events.

The tie isn’t coming back, is it? I write from the bar at Galatoire’s, where men waiting for dinner are wearing jackets. Not ties; although the man standing next to me is wearing beads.

#34 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,010 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:24 AM

Not ties; although the man standing next to me is wearing beads.

It's not Mardi Gras.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#35 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

Dining at Daniel recently, I wore a tie. I believe I wore a tie at Ca L’Isidre last year. When does one wear ties in restaurants any more?

When Michael wears a jacket, he always wears a tie. But only when we do special occasion dining as when we have dinner at EMP on our birthdays and anniversary. Otherwise, when we do lunch there (which is most of the time), he wears a long-sleeved shirt (no tie), in warm weather months with sleeves rolled up and in cold weather months with a vest. The latter is also how he dresses at places that don’t require jackets like Kreuther,The Modern D.R., Majorelle, Le Coucou, etc., be it lunch or dinner.

#36 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,138 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

Not ties; although the man standing next to me is wearing beads.

It's not Mardi Gras.

Doesn’t seem to worry anyone.

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:14 AM

I have never found an under-the-counter hook that even my stingiest fedora would fit on.

Ergo clips. Not sure what they do to brim edge... You've seen them? A push-button at the top that opens a clip/claw at the bottom?

The new Momofuku Noodle Bar in the Time Warner Center remarkably has under-the-counter hooks that accommodate wide-brimmed fedoras.

I have my other issues with this place. But bravo for the hooks!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:13 AM

Imagine someone returning something called a hot chicken sandwich because it was too spicy. the spice
Mixture only containing cayenne and brown sugar. Now imagine you are a SIchuan or Thai restaurant. You can see why they dumb it down
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,017 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:59 AM

Now let's complain about the influx of places -- usually "fast casual" -- that don't accept cash.

I hate this.  On a personal level, I hate it because I don't want to put some $10 transaction on my credit card, and as an Old Person, I don't even use debit cards.

But even worse, of course, are the social implications.  You can't eat in these places if you don't have bank cards.  If you're really poor, you're excluded.  Even though most of these places charge a comparative pittance for their food.

Up until yesterday, the place that did this that pissed me off the most (except for Frankie Portugal in Hell's Kitchen, where I was forced to charge a $3 nata -- WTF??????) was Pasta Flyer.  Here was an excellent, highly accomplished chef abandoning his calling so he could (by his account) sell healthy food with good ingredients to a less well-heeled clientele than at his multi-Michelin-starred restaurant.  But they WOULDN'T TAKE CASH.  So he wants, on social/ethical grounds, to serve a less moneyed clientele -- but only if they have bank cards?????  Fucking hypocrite!!!!!!!

But even more offensive, in a way, is Fuku.  This is David Chang's stab at a spicy fried chicken sandwich chain.  And, Chang being Chang, the sandwiches are kind of delicious.  And, Chang being Chang, the outlets -- at least the one I went to -- have an endless playlist playing of Very Old Skool Hip-Hop (pre-Hip-Hop, really:  Rap).  To prove the chain's Street Cred.  This isn't Your Father's Fast Food Chain.

But:  they don't take cash.  So, it's like, we'll exploit street culture to make you think we're cool -- but we don't want any Actual Street People here.  Only people with bank cards.

You know what?  Fuck you, Fuku.  I'm never going back.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

I'm in total agreement with you - I fucking hate it. Cashless Retailers Prohibition Act of 2018

https://www.restaura...s-state-payment

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

Also leaves less free cash for the business to pay off the books workers, puts you in mailing lists you don't want, strengthens the 3% credit card extortion scheme...

But then, stealing employees, robberies, fake notes, going to the bank, making change, millennials not knowing how to count...
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#42 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

the other day I was in Chicago and wanted a cheeseburger at 1 am.. I was really upset that they wouldn't let me walk through a drive through... I felt that was super classist.. I mean, do I need to hire an uber to meet me in the parking lot of McDonalds in order to let me place an order.... I am so happy I didn't think of that then... 

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

I once booked a hotel across the road from our Santa Clara office only to find out you need to walk a mile to cross the highway and there's no sidewalk... Ended up taking a cab every day.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#44 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

millennials not knowing how to count...

See, if they had to make change, they'd learn how to count!

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

I once booked a hotel across the road from our Santa Clara office only to find out you need to walk a mile to cross the highway and there's no sidewalk... Ended up taking a cab every day.

that's ridiculous and funny, after the fact.