1 reply to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

a good movie to see on a lazy afternoon. nice performances from the leads. it's an engaging cross between a buddy movie and a white savior flick. it captures the period well, but i felt like it was told from the wrong point of view. it is the Odd Couple meets Driving Miss Daisy meets the Defiant Ones with a nod to Crosby and Hope. i wish there'd been more on the Green Book itself and it's important place in American history and more about Don Shirley's life and family. we've seen the Arthur Ave Bronx, already and it would have been nice to see where Dr Shirley hailed from.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,667 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

Good analysis, splinky.  The movie ducked out on Shirley's background saying he'd lost touch with his brother, and having him say he didn't fit in with his "own people" and didn't fit in with white people.  

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought