29 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

I don’t think we’ve done this, although we’ve done almost everything. Curious who people have seen.

I have my answers, but to kick off, my mother and father saw Frank “The Riddler” Gorshin in cabaret, and regarded him as the pinnacle of comic impressionists.

If you’ve been ridiculed by well-known comics, let’s hear.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,161 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

We all have to be waiting for Rich to tell a particular story here.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:13 AM

George M. Cohan before he went solo?

#4 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:14 AM

Rodney Dangerfield yelled at me for blowing smoke at him (accidentally) at Catch a Rising Star. I did not like being called out, mostly because I was there with a fake ID.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:15 AM

That’s the kind of story I’m looking for. :D

#6 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,405 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:03 AM

I'm not saying he's the best comedian, but I saw Ray Romano at Stand Up NY in the early 90s before people knew who he was.

Future Legacy Participant.

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,827 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:33 AM

I saw Robin Williams do a show once.  He was hilarious.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

My high school buddy is a stand up comedian and runs a
Few shows in nyc. I love stand up and hosted a few nights
At og meks. There was this guy Tim Dillon who is starting to blow up a bit. He riffed on the store and the crowd for 5 minutes where I lost my mind. He was incredible. He has some funny things on you tube.

It was the first unknown person I saw since Jay Moore where I was like, yeh this guy is going to be famous one day.

He runs a guided tour bus on occasion that I’ve been wanting to take.

But yeh, not the greatest of all time certainly
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

I've been lucky enough to have seen perhaps the greatest stand-up of all time - Richard Pryor, post-fire.

Robin any number of times. (I could mention a few backstage stories, but I don't know if the statute of limitations has expired.)

Jerry Seinfeld - at a small, little club in the Haight called The Other Cafe. Way before fame.

Sam Kinison - talk about insanity - people were walking out of his sets before 10 minutes was up.

Dana Carvey - great impressionist too. 

Bobcat Goldthwait...he and Kinison had no love lost for each other. 

Kevin Pollack...did perhaps the best Captain Kirk impression ever. 

Kevin Meaney. Kevin Nealon. Dana Gould. Bobby Slayton. Will and Debbie Durst. Janine Hansen. Steven Pearl. Paula Poundstone. Jake Johannsen.   

Many others who still hit the boards a couple hundred times a year, et al.

One of the upsides of living in the SF bay area during the late 70s - early 90s, what I believe was one of stand-ups' golden eras.

P.S.  One of the earliest lessons you learn is to not sit up front at a comedy show.

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

We all have to be waiting for Rich to tell a particular story here.

Mr. Ed?

#11 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

I saw Janeane Garofalo selling cupcakes outside Teany to raise money for some worthy political cause. She didn't say anything funny, though, at least not that I heard.

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

I've been lucky enough to have seen perhaps the greatest stand-up of all time - Richard Pryor, post-fire.

Robin any number of times. (I could mention a few backstage stories, but I don't know if the statute of limitations has expired.)

Jerry Seinfeld - at a small, little club in the Haight called The Other Cafe. Way before fame.

Sam Kinison - talk about insanity - people were walking out of his sets before 10 minutes was up.

Dana Carvey - great impressionist too. 

Bobcat Goldthwait...he and Kinison had no love lost for each other. 

Kevin Pollack...did perhaps the best Captain Kirk impression ever. 

Kevin Meaney. Kevin Nealon. Dana Gould. Bobby Slayton. Will and Debbie Durst. Janine Hansen. Steven Pearl. Paula Poundstone. Jake Johannsen.   

Many others who still hit the boards a couple hundred times a year, et al.

One of upsides of living in the SF bay area during the late 70s - early 90s, what I believe was one of stand-ups' golden eras.

P.S.  One of the earliest lessons you learn is to not sit up front at a comedy show.

Kevin Meaney was such a terrific personality. miss him

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:34 PM

I did see Janeane Garofolo trying out new material at a club: slightly hampered by reading jokes from her phone (subsequently I’ve seen a lot of comics do that, which is lame if the material is anything other than brand new).

I saw Kate McKinnon at UCB before she went on SNL, doing character comedy rather than gags as you might expect.

I did see Peter Cook and Dudley Moore on the closing London night of “Behind the Fridge,” when they were being pranked by the stage staff (eg endlessly foaming soap in Dud’s teapot). I saw the original Monty Python cast live too.

But comedians: I saw Steve Coogan and the playwright Patrick Marber in their stand up days (didn’t like the latter).

The best though was definitely Eddie Izzard. I’ve seen his long, two hour sets, which are marvels of construction. But the short sets he did in London pubs and clubs before he was famous were miraculous. I saw him many times, and he always left me unable to breathe for laughing.

Contemporary, Mark Normand and Calise Hawkins are making careers now, and (my wife and) I spotted them as very strong when they were starting out.

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:36 PM

Envy anyone who saw Robin Williams. Was always curious about how good Seinfeld was.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

Seinfeld's early stand-up was, in my opinion, pretty darn good. And he worked totally clean.

Robin didn't, but catching him do a set at The Holy City Zoo, or some other small SF club, left one breathless.

Robin could "lift" from other comics, like a joke or bit, and make it totally his own; not that the writer of said joke was left happy.  I even think he actually paid a few guys for stealing some material.

But once again - Richard. Watch his first 2 movies and see what genius was.