45 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

Going to another Christmas Concert next week where every version of Baby It's Cold Outside will be performed. No other song will be played. Think there are 58 versions - at last count.

It's a tribute to the Loessers as a thank you for this great song and their performance of it over the years.

My favorite version is the Nancy Lamott, Michael Feinstein recording - they reverse the roles, quite ingenious.

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

https://music.amazon...22?SWVSuccess=1

This is the Lamott/Feinstein version. Spectacular!!!

#3 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

Related. Or maybe not, but probably.

https://www.nytimes....pe=sectionfront

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:05 PM

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

it's a good song. if people watched the clips from neptune's daughter they might see how clever it really is

~Jack Handey

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

45603772584_ac87f02e24.jpg

~Jack Handey

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

http://www.cc.com/vi...y-for-the-night

~Jack Handey

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

So an update - reported on WCBS Radio this morning. 

"Baby It's Cold Outside" is now the number two selling Christmas song this year slightly behind "All Want for Christmas Is You." Sales are more than 75% higher than last year and it's the Number Ten top selling song in the last month. This is a relief - normal, reasonable people do exist in significant numbers.

What's interesting is this piece of news did not appear on the first page of the NY Times as did the above-referenced article, nor did it appear in any other part of this morning's  paper. Guess the Old Grey Lady/Paper of Record didn't feel it was in their best interest to publish the story.

Appears they don't print "All the News That's Fit to Print" after all.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,272 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:50 PM

Here's the thing.  It's not front page news; indeed, the only reason you mention it is the feature from early this month. I am pretty sure any Times editor will determine that the Times' own feature doesn't somehow magically make this front page news.  And I'd agree.

#11 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

So an update - reported on WCBS Radio this morning. 

"Baby It's Cold Outside" is now the number two selling Christmas song this year slightly behind "All Want for Christmas Is You." Sales are more than 75% higher than last year and it's the Number Ten top selling song in the last month. This is a relief - normal, reasonable people do exist in significant numbers.

What's interesting is this piece of news did not appear on the first page of the NY Times as did the above-referenced article, nor did it appear in any other part of this morning's  paper. Guess the Old Grey Lady/Paper of Record didn't feel it was in their best interest to publish the story.

Appears they don't print "All the News That's Fit to Print" after all.

Is this story so widely reported that the Times' ignoring it is notable? Maybe it's not "fit to print," It's just "fit to air on the radio."

#12 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

Yet they had no trouble printing the first story (on page 1 no less) that was more widely reported.

#13 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:28 PM

I don't really understand why this is upsetting to you. The NYT published an in-depth feature about the controversy surrounding the song, which was likely to draw a lot of eyeballs and to inspire discussion. They did not publish a brief item about the song's sales this year, which - from me, at least - inspires this reaction: "Oh. Huh."

ETA: And as it happens, this is part of the NYT article:

"One San Francisco station that pulled the song earlier this month, KOIT-FM, reversed course after a survey determined that most listeners wanted the song to be in rotation. And according to Billboard’s sales chart for holiday-themed digital songs, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” is rising in the rankings. Three cover versions appear in the Top 50, more than any other title."

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,272 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:51 PM

Yet they had no trouble printing the first story (on page 1 no less) that was more widely reported.

It wasn’t a news story though, it was an opinion piece. I am not opining on its merits. I would be amazed if the best-selling Christmas music information was even considered as a candidate as front-page news.

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:59 PM

~Jack Handey