11 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but there is a lot of wisdom on this board that needs to be shared.

Fraternal twins,, 7 year old, mother and au pair came over today to trim the tree.   Arrived staving; no surprise.   Wolfed 3 slices of poteca each with a half-gallon of milk before embarking on project.   

Tree decently clad, they needed lunch.    Sliced up some pears and apples, found some clementines.   Boiled up some mini-farfale, tossed with homemade red sauce.   

Attention veered to setting up their 'tea shop" in the living room.    Boxes of fake food, small serving pieces, tablets for taking orders, jar of pennies for purchases.    About half hour.

Behavior going south before their mother and I steered them toward the door.    

A lovely holiday afternoon... but...

MORAL:   IF YOU PLAN TO HAVE KIDS, DO SO EARLY ENOUGH SO THAT YOU WILL NOT BE GERIATRIC GRANDPARENTS.    i.e., grandparenting in your 50s sounds about right.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:04 AM

Grandparenting in your 50s IS a great idea, but it so often relies on parenting in your 20s, which is a much less great idea.

#3 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

Still chuckling, yesterday at the kids' school's "grandparents day", a 4-5 year old Elsa in a well worn Disney dress sidled up to me and asked, "Are you old?" I answered, "Oh, you betcha!" She wandered off.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:51 AM

Oddly, the same thing happens to me in bars.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:54 AM

Kind of post that keeps me on Mouthfuls.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,945 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:26 AM

Oddly, the same thing happens to me in bars.

You could hedge.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:24 PM

If I’m grandparenting before my late seventies, it will mean my daughter has been wreckless with her youth. Sigh.

#8 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:28 PM

If I’m grandparenting before my late seventies, it will mean my daughter has been wreckless with her youth. Sigh.

There's always Geritol.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:57 PM

Maybe it's time for my latest geriatric saga. We were seated next to a Brit foursome at a hip little Paris rawbar. One of the couples was celebrating their twelfth anniversary. As we were leaving, I paused at their table, wished them well and mentioned our upcoming number. "How did you do THAT?" chap asks. "Just hang in there", I tell him. "I keep tryin' to, but she wo' let me!". he blurts. The wife and I make eye contact. I mouth, "Good luck".

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#10 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Meanwhile, we were at family art day at The Cloisters and someone asked my (4.5 year old) son how old he was. His response - 29.

Future Legacy Participant.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

My 55 year old uncle has a six year old and a two year old. Can't wait to see how that works out.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:30 AM

I think my 18 year old still identifies as a 9 year old.

Thing is, we all manage somehow, we always have. I’d love to see my daughter’s children, but my parents never saw her.

The text for this is Barrie’s novel Peter Pan, the last few pages. The most heartbreaking pages I know.