Photo

Popeyes hagiography ("Mysterious, Stubborn Appeal of Mass-Produced Fried Chicken")

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

The Mysterious, Stubborn Appeal of Mass-Produced Fried Chicken

https://munchies.vic...d-fried-chicken

"A fast food fried chicken restaurant is starting with something a lot closer to what the fanciest kitchens might use: raw ingredients. . . . [But] fast food chains have, by virtue of their scale, a capacity for exploratory food science that independent restaurants cannot typically compete with. This sort of inquiry allows them to trim the (sometimes literal but mostly figurative) fat and optimize every aspect of their processes."

On a less meta note, I enjoyed learning that "a restaurant was busted for serving Popeyes chicken and ostensibly passing it off as its own."

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

In 1950s (or was it '40s?) Soho, a dodgy character known as Ironfoot Jack found himself with enough money to open a restaurant, but not to hire a cook.  His menu listed some varieties of fish and chips.  When the customer ordered, Jack would go around the corner to the nearest fish and chip shop, pick up the food, bring it back and plate it.  The restaurant didn't last.

i2.jpg

#3 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

a recent meal at El Pollo Campero was probably the best fast food I’ve had and better than all but a few pieces of fried chicken I’ve had. they’ve definitely mastered that process.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,872 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

I believe there's a local (NYC) Chinatown restaurant a few of us have been known to frequent, which may supply other Chinatown restaurants with roast pig, suckling or otherwise.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,428 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

I think CVAP was developed for KFC.

But still the most counter-intuitive piece of frying gear I've seen in use in kushiage shops is an AQTAS style fryer. 

Because Oil Floats

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

I think CVAP was developed for KFC.

But still the most counter-intuitive piece of frying gear I've seen in use in kushiage shops is an AQTAS style fryer. 

Because Oil Floats

That's pretty cool.

Pouring water into the fryer doesn't end up in spatter is that the water quickly passes through the oil and the interface into the water below before there is significant vaporization.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.