8 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Since we appear obsessed with NYC significant restaurants of the past, does anyone want to write a Quilted Giraffe review? It was the restaurant that introduced Nouvelle Cuisine to NYC.

While where at it how about reviews on The Palace, The Duck Joint, Artie's Warehouse, Manny Wolf's, Top of the Sixes, Lutece, Gold Coin, Parioli Romanissimo, The Jockey Club, Raga, Luchow's, Grotta Azzurra, The Bank and Gage & Tollner???

#2 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:30 AM

Ha!     A few from my distant past.   Top of the Sixes was a frequent business lunch venue.   Nice view but I can't remember a single plate.   Jockey Club, more remember the name than food.    Luchow's on a Sunday night was manic.   I remember for the first time experiencing a "bellboy" type kid coming through the room with a tall board and bell, calling clients with phone calls, like doctors.   Food?  Yes.   German, very heavy, mandatory apple pancake at dessert was a bomb.    Define as you please.    

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:51 AM

I think MFFer dekay knew the restaurant pretty well.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

I think MFFer dekay knew the restaurant pretty well.

⭐😎

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:08 AM

All I know about those places is I ordered wrong.

And other than Quilted Giraffe, were any of them doing the type of menus which are being bandied about in t that other thread?  Or were they strictly the province of the blue hair set?

#6 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

All I know about those places is I ordered wrong.

And other than Quilted Giraffe, were any of them doing the type of menus which are being bandied about in t that other thread?  Or were they strictly the province of the blue hair set?

Yes at the top of the list in those days and most were not blue hair at all - The Palace, Duck Joint, Lutece, Gold Coin, Artie's Warehouse, Parioli Romanissimo and Gage & Tollner were among the best in class. Most of them were better than anything existing today.

Impossible to order wrong in the Duck Joint - all they served was duck and goose. Both the best examples I ever tasted.

#7 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

But if you didn't eat in NYC during the mid 60's to late 70's, these would never come to mind.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

Is this the right thread of the Forum of the Twelve Caesars?

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

...and the Plymouth Rock Cafe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nouvelle Cuisine