5 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

What kind do I want? There are different “bloom” levels. The recipe doesn’t specify. General baking stuff. Thanks!

Seems that Amazon only has sheets made from pork. Do you just not say anything to the observant? Or are there beef sheets out there?

Sorry -that should be “gelatin” sheets?

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

I think the kosher option is fish as beef still has issues with dairy.

There are really just two bloom levels, gold and silver, and best I can tell gold is a bit stiffer but not such a difference thaf for a home cook I would care much. If I was really trying to perfect texture I might try to figure out which to use.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#3 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

Title edited  :)

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Anyone have a source for fish gelatin sheets?  I can only find the power -- in 22 kg drums.

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Anyone have a source for fish gelatin sheets?  I can only find the power -- in 22 kg drums.

if you are not serving with dairy there are halal  sheets. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

here's a kosher brand i've seen people use successfully. many kosher supermarkets do online ordering. try one of those

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*