38 replies to this topic

#31 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

The distinction surely isn’t re. “SP style” restaurants. Classical fine dining is just as likely to take 3 hours and be the only possible event of the evening?

But I don't think that's right. When I go to a L'Ambroisie, yes, I order half portions, and a long menu, and it takes three hours. That was the case with some other patrons when I went there, but not the case with others (a similar example at L'Arpege is seeing a couple order a lobster and bottle of wine each, that's it). Contrast with Willows Inn - where everyone is seated at the same time (or a slight stagger), and dishes are precisely timed with all deviations being pre-planned. It's a wonderful meal, but one that has as singular primary purposes. It's not a great place for a business meeting, or a date, or a good place to tuck into a single plate of something both immaculate and comforting (unless you want a half portion, in which case they can do that). Or, if someone told you that you could only eat at L'Ambroisie or Brooklyn Fare, I think you'd probably choose Brooklyn Fare. Now, if someone said that you had to choose one or the other for three consecutive meals, I think that the choice may be different. I don't mean that as an implicit critique of the Brooklyn Fares, it's more that an SP style restaurant is built for a different purpose.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,017 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:24 AM

Getting back to the REAL subject here:   I still don't understand how Ian does all this.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

The distinction surely isn’t re. “SP style” restaurants. Classical fine dining is just as likely to take 3 hours and be the only possible event of the evening?

But I don't think that's right. When I go to a L'Ambroisie, yes, I order half portions, and a long menu, and it takes three hours. That was the case with some other patrons when I went there, but not the case with others (a similar example at L'Arpege is seeing a couple order a lobster and bottle of wine each, that's it). Contrast with Willows Inn - where everyone is seated at the same time (or a slight stagger), and dishes are precisely timed with all deviations being pre-planned. It's a wonderful meal, but one that has as singular primary purposes. It's not a great place for a business meeting, or a date, or a good place to tuck into a single plate of something both immaculate and comforting (unless you want a half portion, in which case they can do that). Or, if someone told you that you could only eat at L'Ambroisie or Brooklyn Fare, I think you'd probably choose Brooklyn Fare. Now, if someone said that you had to choose one or the other for three consecutive meals, I think that the choice may be different. I don't mean that as an implicit critique of the Brooklyn Fares, it's more that an SP style restaurant is built for a different purpose.

Hard to argue with any of that.

#34 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

Getting back to the REAL subject here:   I still don't understand how Ian does all this.

If I told you that I also launched a new law firm at the end of 2017...

Nah, it’s not so mysterious. Kids were all old enough last year to be left with nanny/granny/aunt for occasional nights out/weekends away. And I was in NYC a few times with work (my wife flew over for a weekend once when we hit BF, EMP and SGO). 2019 will be quieter.

#35 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,500 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

our best meal in london in june--traveling with our own kids and so nothing remotely ambitious on the radar--was probably at tandoor chophouse. i might even get around to writing that meal up this month.

back to me: i did write that tandoor chop house meal up. here.

tandoor-chop-house-lamb-ribs.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#36 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

our best meal in london in june--traveling with our own kids and so nothing remotely ambitious on the radar--was probably at tandoor chophouse. i might even get around to writing that meal up this month.

back to me: i did write that tandoor chop house meal up. here.

tandoor-chop-house-lamb-ribs.jpg

I walk by this restaurant on the way to/from work but haven't ever thought to go.  Partly due to Jay's review, partly due to liking the reliable/good value Dishoom nearby (their breakfast is surprisingly excellent, particularly the filled naans...)  I will give it a go on your recommendation!

#37 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,500 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:42 AM

for what it's worth, i liked my one meal at tandoor chop house far, far more than my one meal at dishoom. of course, it's a more limited palette at tandoor chop house.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,500 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

ian, did you give tandoor chop house a go yet?

--

here is my final restaurant report from our london trip last june. if tandoor chop house had not received glowing reviews from the local media, talli joe has and given the general high standards for mod'ish indian restaurants in london we were expecting to enjoy our meal there. it was our last meal of the trip eaten with the (indian) friends we stayed with for part of the trip, who are generally far less critical than me of most things. they were not impressed either. herewith the details which include more thoughts on the New Indian Exotica aesthetic.

steve, you'll be interested to know that the kids both got butter chicken and liked it a lot.

talli-joe-gol-baari-kosha-mangsho.jpg

~homer simpson

#39 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,961 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

Thanks, Ian.

The Ledbury was quite wonderful. Great cooking there.

But BRAT was our favorite meal and most enjoyable restaurant experience of our London stay.  Bibendum (but the oyster bar for lunch) was only so-so.

Both of those restaurants beat out St. John for food, this time around, though I did have some great hogget chops. The menu just wasn't that moving on the night we were there, and I missed out on one of the specials by not getting there earlier.

Barrafina for a quick lunch was also quite good and plenty casual. Nobel Rot fine again.

Jerusalem Tavern muy bueno.

The Van Gogh spectacular at Tate Britain was spectacular. And your National Gallery is awesome...2 Vermeers worth the visit alone, but also a fabulous Boilly exhibit - and all those Rembrandts!