Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

I see the National Felon League (NFL) is at it again. At least Kraft is smart enough to never have played in this ridiculous exhibition.

Isn't it time to do away with this so called "sport" that exists just to permanently injure people?

How many participants need to sustain eventual life-ending brain injuries for our society to recognize this exhibition should meet its demise? The money can't be more important than life itself.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

I see the National Felon League (NFL) is at it again. At least Kraft is smart enough to never have played in this ridiculous exhibition.

Isn't it time to do away with this so called "sport" that exists just to permanently injure people?

How many participants need to sustain eventual life-ending brain injuries for our society to recognize this exhibition should meet its demise? The money can't be more important than life itself.

But how does this square up with the sport of kings, where - well, you know what happens?

#4 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

There's inherent risk in any sport even for the fans. A women was killed last year at a Dodger game when she was hit by a foul ball.

In NFL world, players go out there with the intention of hurting someone with the purpose of getting them out of the game. Years ago the Oakland Raiders installed the "Attack Defense" where one person was assigned to hit the QB on every play - and they did. More recently, the scandal with the New Orleans Saints revealed coaches gave rewards for knocking a key player out of the game. What the NFL didn't say is all teams have the same reward system. 

When the purpose of the game is to purposely hurt someone so they can't play or worse , (except boxing where the participants are aware of punches being thrown that will hurt) it stops being a sport.

Hell the NFL got NBC's Bob Costas fired because he spoke out about the CTE problem the league was having.

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

I understand what you're saying, Rich.

And now that the dangers of CTE are pretty well known, don't you think it's up to individuals, and certainly parents of individuals who are too young to make informed decisions, to decide for themselves whether they want to play the game.

I also think that in horse racing, there are plenty of characters who do things to horses with the knowledge that what they are doing to the horse may indeed result in death. 

#6 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

Why any parent would allow their child to play football is beyond belief and IMO should be considered as a form of child abuse.

All sports have cheaters. What some professional athletes have done/are doing to their bodies will have long-time detrimental affects and may hasten death. And yes, I realize the horse has no say in this matter, but drug use is down as well as major injuries. There are still some trainers who look for an advantage by plying illegal drugs to their horses. However, this small number, while not acceptable, should never take away from the beauty of Thoroughbred Racing. 

It's interesting to note the different sports all have a governing body in place to discourage cheating, but some people continue thinking they won't get court. That number constantly hovers in the 3 to 5% range throughout the industry.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:40 PM

People will be calling for a ban on boxing next.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

Struggling not to smile when I see Kraft and “ridiculous exhibition” in the same sentence.

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

People will be calling for a ban on boxing next.

They have for years. Even Howard Cosell (and several other lesser-known sportscasters) refused to cover boxing in the latter years of his career.

Don't think it should be banned because people enter the profession with full knowledge of the rules. I do believe pro boxing should incorporate some amateur rules - such as fewer rounds, a two knockdown rule (instead of three)gloves with more padding and headgear. Referees should be more diligent in looking for injuries. The Rocky scenario should never be played out.

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

Talking about a "sport" in which the knowledge of fatal injuries is quite well established:

I'm sure Rich has seen this article...  Horse Deaths at Santa Anita Spell Trouble for an Industry.

A filly named Lets Light the Way was euthanized on Tuesday after shattering a sesamoid bone at the ankle joint. It was the 21st horse fatality in racing or training at Santa Anita since Dec. 26. That is more than the 20 deaths that occurred over 122 racing days in 2017, according to Jockey Club data.

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

Allegedly the track is too hard so they are supposed to remedy that.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:24 AM

Giants trade Odell to the Browns!

Then that happened.

#13 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

They also made former Bama player Landon Collins very rich by trading him to the Alabama Redskins  :P . 

#14 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:34 AM

The Saints-Texans game was amazing.  My hat is off to Mr. Brees and Mr. Payton.

And Mr. Watson in a losing effort that would win most games.

Then that happened.