88 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Staying in the 1st and planning to prowl the Marais. Interested in fun places for coffee, drinks, snacks and lunches with prime people watching. will even entertain some "must do" tourist crap like L'ami Louis because chicken and potatoes.  What else should be on the list?

So far the list includes:

L'ami Louis

Claus St Germain de Pres

Hugo and Company

Asian Art Museum for wine (but really to steal a view of the Eiffel Tour from their terrace)

Ellsworth

Bar Hemmingway

Willi's Wine Bar

Chambelland Bakery

Helmut Newcake Bakery

Noglu Bakery

Foucade

Niébé

JahJah by Le Tricycle

Waly Fay

Berthillon

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

To be honest, I find the list a bit odd.  What are you looking for?  These are a lot of places that are filled with tourists and a gluten free bakery (Noglu).  Are you prioritizing the food or really just looking for casual places to people watch?  Are you looking for hot spots or old classics?  

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:33 PM

trying to accommodate several people. the stuff that's mine are the gf bakeries, the african restaurants and some new french.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

someone just added a reservation at Taillevent. I'm not paying

~Jack Handey

#5 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

When are you there? We’ve rented an apartment on the edge of the Marais for the month of May.

This space available… contact owner.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:47 PM

When are you there? We’ve rented an apartment on the edge of the Marais for the month of May.

next week and the week after. i can come back in may if you will buy me some chicken. 

~Jack Handey

#7 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:50 AM

Since you’ll be there & back before I go, I fully expect a report on which of the African places had the best chicken dishes. I’m gonna assume that the gluten free bakeries won’t have any.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:02 AM

Since you’ll be there & back before I go, I fully expect a report on which of the African places had the best chicken dishes. I’m gonna assume that the gluten free bakeries won’t have any.

actually maison kayser has a lovely gluten free chicken salad.

46590210804_c8aa31a9de_z.jpg

~Jack Handey

#9 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

You may have already seen this, but for gluten free recommendations

https://www.davidleb...lutenfree-eati/

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:59 AM

You may have already seen this, but for gluten free recommendations

https://www.davidleb...lutenfree-eati/

yes, thanks. 

here's a newer article 

~Jack Handey

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

So, this is a partial list of where we actually ended up going

Ellsworth - great meal. owners from boston but very brooklyn style

Bar Hemmingway - nifty historic space but too many old people. i'm kind of old but these people were really old. service was a bit frosty

Berthillon - it's ice cream!

Treize au Jardin - trying to be husk in paris. owner is a doll. food is good but not earth shattering

Le Petit Commines - interesting and innovative. they know their wine. 

Sama Beyrouth - best falafel and sides, i've ever had. the owner is super friendly and told us he would order for us so we didn't do it wrong. he was right

Etienne Marcel - nice casual dining with prime people watching.

Crêperie Breizh Café - 100% buckwheat crepes and galettes made with premium fillings. the perfect place to soak up the wine from dinner

Patisserie Stohrer - old skool patisserie. i mostly looked but tasted a lick ass lemon curd tart with meringue topping that was beyond good

La Crêperie De Port Marly - old fashioned, family run crêperie in the burbs. hey it was gluten free 100% buckwheat 

Le Taillevent - best fine dining i've had in a while. the service was impeccable. they managed to accommodate a pescatarian, vegetarian and me with my gluten intolerance and other allergies. we let the som choose the wines and he was genius. i was dining with california wine people who were excited about the depth and breadth of the cellar. 

Restaurant Gemini - gluten free pasta and pizza near our apt. family owned and delicious. awesome gf pizza crust

will add photos of some highlights later

~Jack Handey

#12 Guest_Ptipois_*

Guest_Ptipois_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

And what did you think of those places?

Too bad you didn't go to Waly-Fay, it's good. I prefer Fifa in the 18th but Waly does the job in a more central area.

All African restaurants in Paris serve roasted/barbecued chicken one way or another. It's commonly called "poulet braisé" and can be very good. Usually served with a housemade hot sauce. It is wise to order aloko (fried plantains) on the side. Variations will be pintade braisée (Guinea-fowl) or amiwo, first roasted then briefly stewed in a sauce. Accompaniments will differ depending on the origin of the cuisine. Fifa is Beninese, Waly-Fay is Senegalese.

If the kitchen team is from Cameroon, they will propose poulet DG, a very crispy poulet braisé with fried plantains. Not to be missed. That could be had, for instance, at Le Lion Indomptable (20th) or at Rio Dos Camaroes (Montreuil).

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

And what did you think of those places?

Too bad you didn't go to Waly-Fay, it's good. I prefer Fifa in the 18th but Waly does the job in a more central area.

All African restaurants in Paris serve roasted/barbecued chicken one way or another. It's commonly called "poulet braisé" and can be very good. Usually served with a housemade hot sauce. It is wise to order aloko (fried plantains) on the side. Variations will be pintade braisée (Guinea-fowl) or amiwo, first roasted then briefly stewed in a sauce. Accompaniments will differ depending on the origin of the cuisine. Fifa is Beninese, Waly-Fay is Senegalese.

If the kitchen team is from Cameroon, they will propose poulet DG, a very crispy poulet braisé with fried plantains. Not to be missed. That could be had, for instance, at Le Lion Indomptable (20th) or at Rio Dos Camaroes (Montreuil).

was disappointed not to make it to the African places but next time. SteveR., Ellsworth had some chicken that you might really dig. 

~Jack Handey

#14 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:59 PM

Looks like I might be doing the poultry tour of Paris. Not a bad idea actually. Thank you both.

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

33581246758_0e982b5679.jpg33581247518_47fc2c2780.jpg

33581245868_89afc06905.jpg32515820587_2368a6617e.jpg46734427274_e00b19b967.jpg47404577782_9aac7d5b2d.jpg47457485781_4d8ecf726c.jpg40513778583_a56b2ee1e2.jpg

47479986001_23a175dcaa.jpg47457496971_9aa8b9246f.jpg

46734422074_d87be145d7.jpg40491441423_25e34a3f43.jpg

46756529504_15a3f69396.jpg46734420464_6a6c03e444.jpg

46756528994_64fc294d48.jpg40491440393_69c99ea78c.jpg

46564557845_b0ac2f15ed.jpg47457484731_e91e9d8f2c.jpg

47457484571_203ae43251.jpg32515805957_410da690ef.jpg

~Jack Handey