88 replies to this topic

#16 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,816 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

Looks like I might be doing the poultry tour of Paris. Not a bad idea actually. Thank you both.

taillevent had a kick ass chicken and morel dish

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

I had a lamb dish last night at Clown Bar that rocked. All crispy skin, little bones, and tender lamb...wow.  Made that hogget I had at St. John take 2nd or 3rd place for lamb.

Chez La Vieille was fun, delicious and probably really fattening. Talk about a classic blanquette de veau. But like we needed the rabbit kidneys on toast, veal tete, extra oysters, etc. (that's my COMP DISCLOSURE). And a little birdie told us Daniel is moving back to Paris.

Our 8/10 "place" meal (one of each) at Kitchen Gallerie Bis was better than expected - there was a pasta dish in there that put to shame most pasta dishes at restaurants in my city, And a foie soup, and a veal tartare, and lots of spice. Quite lovely.

#18 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

So Clown Bar is still worth going to without Sota there? And any word on who took over?

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

I can't compare it to when Sota was there; all I can say is the food was pretty darn good.

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

Looks like one can eat well (now) in Paris for under $25 - according to Alex Lobrano.

While we haven't gotten to that low dollar amount yet, we did eat at Aux Bons Crus, and had a nice meal - my steak frites was good, Sig Eater's Oeufs mayo and stuffed cabbage was just fine.  Along with a nice $35 bottle of wine.

#21 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

These new 'bouillons" are (or may be) a boon for local workers and those on a really threadbare budget.   But when you factor cost of international travel, lodging and transportation abroad, and the availability of alternatively inexpensive food, I can't convince myself they're a great deal.    They DO make good copy and, yes, will be filling.   I doubt they would pass MFF muster or demands.  

I can go to any number of good cafe's or small bistros and order a starter, main, glass of wine and get out for around $25.    Joe's Au Bon Crus is a good example.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#22 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Joe's Au Bon Crus is a good example.

Our total bill was around 77€. 

2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 2 glasses of white and a bottle of red (actually a nice 2015 Beaujolais).

The real plus was the place was packed and we were the only identifiable non-locals in attendance.

#23 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Looks like one can eat well (now) in Paris for under $25 - according to Alex Lobrano.

While we haven't gotten to that low dollar amount yet, we did eat at Aux Bons Crus, and had a nice meal - my steak frites was good, Sig Eater's Oeufs mayo and stuffed cabbage was just fine.  Along with a nice $35 bottle of wine.

I think we all know the cost of doing business in Paris and what that means you're getting for $25.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#24 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:47 PM

"...April in Paris, Chestnuts in Blossom."

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:14 AM

I think we all know the cost of doing business in Paris and what that means you're getting for $25.

Better fruit and vegetables than in NYC?

Lower profit margin on less expensive French wines?

#26 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

More like Arby's

#27 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

No, more like Foxface.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#28 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

Foxface sit down three course in Paris would be more. It's really easy to figure out the cost of putting your butt in a seat, having food being placed in front of you, dishes washed, etc. so you can tell there's nothing left for food.

#29 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Indeed.   But there are still holdouts.   One of our best meals in November was at a startup manned by a single chef/dishwasher and his wife.   He could, of course, just be as husband often suggests, just buying himself a job and won't last, but these places do exist and thrive until burned out.

eta Daniel Rose started exactly like this.

You have to discover and go early.   Don't expect a free lunch forever.   These guys get discovered and backing, resulting in linens and flowers and hostesses and quadrupled prices with no improvement in food quality.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#30 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Oh, of course. But we're talking about mass market ventures here, not hipster or mom & pop operations.