88 replies to this topic

#31 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

I didn't understand this.  We don't do mass market in Paris. 

eta, reviewing Joe's recent revival of this thread, neither is he discussing other than small, hands on places.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

These?

These new 'bouillons" are (or may be) a boon for local workers and those on a really threadbare budget. But when you factor cost of international travel, lodging and transportation abroad, and the availability of alternatively inexpensive food, I can't convince myself they're a great deal. They DO make good copy and, yes, will be filling. I doubt they would pass MFF muster or demands.

From that article, it sounds like at least some of the places discussed are parts of a mini-chain.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

These?

These new 'bouillons" are (or may be) a boon for local workers and those on a really threadbare budget. But when you factor cost of international travel, lodging and transportation abroad, and the availability of alternatively inexpensive food, I can't convince myself they're a great deal. They DO make good copy and, yes, will be filling. I doubt they would pass MFF muster or demands.

From that article, it sounds like at least some of the places discussed are parts of a mini-chain.

Ok.  I was thinking of joe'e experiences.   His choices have all been small storefront sized and staffed places.  

re the NYT article, yes, these new bouillons made a big splash in the last several years and garnered a lot of ink.   They serve the purpose of filling bellies but orik is correct regarding the quality of product and cooking.   As I suggested above, I wouldn't rec them to you or others here.    Sure, bloggers have picked up on them but, like the NYT, they need copy. 

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#34 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yes, I was talking about the Bouillons, and there are some other chains like that selling Italian food for incredible prices. Sorry for any misunderstanding. 

Of course the bloggers who are complicit in promoting this crap as if it's actual food should be forced to eat there every day.

eta: remember Bistro Romain?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#35 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

I remember the name.    We've never gone to this kind of restaurant in Paris and essentially never here.    There are too many good options for us to settle for, as husband calls it, reliable but "known mediocrity".  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#36 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,138 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

If you do want a cheap bouillon, might as well do Chartier, where the food is unpleasant but the surroundings authentically historic.

#37 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

Au Bon Passage, where we dined on the last night of our stay in Paris, was mentioned in that Lobrano article as having opened a second place, modeled on the article's premise I guess.

Au Bon Passage, which was not $25 or even close, was very good, and we had a splendid time. Butter and radishes, grilled endive, a fabulous tartlet of asparagus and cheese, excellent bread, delicious porcelet, some fine not-Dover sole on the bone, a bissel of cheese, 1 dessert, a bottle of Jura Savagnin, 2 glasses of dessert wine -   €140.

Would be a regular in my neighborhood.

#38 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

Any spots that folks on here like that get a little less play from the popular American sites like Paris by Mouth?  I feel like I'm always going to the same spots sometimes.

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

Been to Table yet?

#40 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

Been to Table yet?

I haven’t but I always take an Ori reco. Nothing open today bc Easter but I’ll try to go this week (any good food in Ibiza for Weds night?).

#41 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

Table is really great and I like Vantre but Ori does not.

Some combination of Michelin plus Le Fooding plus backup DD sort of breaks that bubble.  

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#42 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

We've enjoyed Vantre on three visits. Localish, not tourist.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

I thought your last visit was disappointing too, but maybe I misremember. 

#44 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hmmm. I seem to remember its not coming up to previous experience but can't recall details. But if you believe that short term memory is the first to go, wait a while and see what happens to interim.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#45 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

Have you seen my keys?

Amarante should also be immune to PbM I think.