• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Artzlin

Artzlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:26 AM

Secrets of the Fujianese American restaurant industry which is based in New York are revealed in today’s Menuism article.

https://www.menuism....nts-so-similar/

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:43 AM

Do the Fujianese also run all the post-Brooklyn American places?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Next thing you'll be telling me I can call ABC and have all my dim sum delivered together with all my banh mi needs.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

And the Indian restaurants. I can literally open an Indian restaurant with canned tomato soup, butter, vinegar, yogurt and a few other things.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

And the Indian restaurants. I can literally open an Indian restaurant with canned tomato soup, butter, vinegar, yogurt and a few other things.

good news! now that andrew zimmern has solved this problem for chinese restaurants he will be taking on indian and thai next!

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

Interesting. I think one of the old Chowhound posts he references may have been one of mine. I hadn't considered the idea of central suppliers essentially offering everything needed for an  "instant restaurant" - but it makes sense.

Along 8th Ave in Sunset Park there's a string of Fujian restaurants, many of which change their names ever-so-slightly every couple years, that have identical down-to-the-mistranslation menus - Everett (now Evergreen) which I think was the first, Xing Xing, Xing Xiang (fka Chen Fulin Kwok), Lucky Zhang's, Jin Feng Yuan (fka Luo Xing Ta), and Wang Cun Ju (now maybe named Wang Village) - and maybe others I don't know of.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

But there are also some legitimate standalone Fujianese places in the eastern parts of Manhattan's Chinatown, and there are better and worse suppliers. 

I forgot - ABC will also send you all your Chinese BBQ.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

good news! now that andrew zimmern has solved this problem for chinese restaurants he will be taking on indian and thai next!

It's sad as I have never been to Indian.. Have attempted twice and each time had to cancel for family reasons..   I watch Indian Street Food you tube channels. I have had Indian Food here in the US that makes me know it's worth traveling around the world to experience..  And then I have had the formulaic generic offerings that seem to be on every corner..  It kind of reminds me of when I was young and got a fake id.. The guy who printed the id's was only able to print the same persons info but, was able to insert a different photo..   So, one night there were like 25 17 year old  Brad Grossmans from Louisiana. at the Gold Rail in New Brunswick celebrating our 23rd birthday.  

But yeh, it seems like the restaurant owners go to the printer and just change the name of the restaurant.   One thing that is oddly strange, most of these places have incredible yelp and seamless ratings.  It appears everyone is happy with butter chicken. 

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:08 PM

But there are also some legitimate standalone Fujianese places in the eastern parts of Manhattan's Chinatown, and there are better and worse suppliers. 

I forgot - ABC will also send you all your Chinese BBQ.

I sort of remember when the first of these were opening, along E Broadway, I think.  Some were pretty good and offered a few dishes that were vaguely new  and delicious.

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:38 PM

One thing that is oddly strange, most of these places have incredible yelp and seamless ratings.  It appears everyone is happy with butter chicken. 

mouthfuls, know yourself.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#11 Artzlin

Artzlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Interesting. I think one of the old Chowhound posts he references may have been one of mine. I hadn't considered the idea of central suppliers essentially offering everything needed for an  "instant restaurant" - but it makes sense.
Along 8th Ave in Sunset Park there's a string of Fujian restaurants, many of which change their names ever-so-slightly every couple years, that have identical down-to-the-mistranslation menus - Everett (now Evergreen) which I think was the first, Xing Xing, Xing Xiang (fka Chen Fulin Kwok), Lucky Zhang's, Jin Feng Yuan (fka Luo Xing Ta), and Wang Cun Ju (now maybe named Wang Village) - and maybe others I don't know of.

#12 Artzlin

Artzlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

Sometimes the new name is just slightly different from the old one either to trade on the good will of an old name, or perhaps more commonly, the Chinese name of the restaurant doesn’t change and they wish to keep the English name consistent.

https://www.menuism....s-change-names/

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

One thing that is oddly strange, most of these places have incredible yelp and seamless ratings. It appears everyone is happy with butter chicken.

mouthfuls, know yourself.

There are places on Seamless that get perfect ratings that no one here would

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:26 AM

i'm just saying--look at the average indian restaurant review on mouthfuls and you'll see the same progression of chicken tikka masala/butter chicken, korma, dal makhni, saag paneer...

~homer simpson

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

Lex is gone man. Let it go.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"