5 replies to this topic

#1 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

Any prep ideas? I get scallops here only in the shell (maybe they're also available frozen, dunno), with the roe attached. I've tried blanching the roe in stock, but didn't care for the result. Not sure about eating raw, like uni. Drew a blank on the internet.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,435 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

First, make sure to remove all the black stuff unless your scallop is right out of the water, including the bit of black stuff you can squeeze out of the orange part. 

Then you can take the red/orange part with the skirt that you've meticulously washed, chop them up and sauté in butter and then if you have enough of it you can process it into sauce, maybe with some herbs and ultratex or your favorite emulsifier (the red part is a pretty good emulsifier itself but there's usually just not enough of it)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, Ori. The lobes look pretty clean, but will wash thoroughly. I've got 8 of them tonight, so yield will be low. Uses? Flavor bomb with fish? Add to creamy sugo for pasta?

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

I usually just pan fry them with the rest, which works fine. I’ve seen recipes where they are dried and grated, which I would like to try at some point.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#5 cinghiale

cinghiale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

I've also seen references to using dried scallop roe, but I'm not sure how to cure it. I could try doing it bottarga-style, I guess, but it's an involved process with a strong likelihood of screwing it up.

#6 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

You need a dehydrator or steam oven but otherwise no special process. (At least the recipes I’ve seen.)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot