2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

261 Canal Street, in the Canal Street Market...    

Came here yesterday in quite a hurry.. i had many bags from food shopping, i had worked all day, i was freezing cold and had walked and subway'ed and hadn't eaten all day..   I arrived to a really clean looking food court  Had that hi gloss design that a Hyatt Place in the midwest would have..   I didn't peruse, i didn't mull, i just went to the counter and placed my order..   The man asked me various questions, i didn't pay attention,  i said, give me it how you like it.. And went and sat at a dirty counter waiting for my food. 

I watched the guys make the rice rolls.. They add rice flour to a sheet pan, they then mix in an egg, the ingredients and slide the pan into a steamer.. The pan is ejected and they then roll the mixture into logs and cut and plate and sauce... It's a great system.. 

47153137011_8703a6ec82.jpg

What i usually had know was a rice roll that is just rice flour and water.. The added egg is great makes it hearty and eggy and much more savory and sweeter.. More of a meal.. not that a rice roll isn't a meal but, it becomes more of a stick to your ribs sort of thing. 

certainly not a pure white roll 

33277732948_fc08a1cc99.jpg

I also ordered the jian bing with the pork floss filling.. it was delicious.. sweeter than i have had in the past.. i. traditionally, i usually go much more spicy but, the pork floss calls for a sweeter flavor... I love pork floss and peanut butter for that reason... 

47104922322_17e14bbdd8.jpg

47104914752_3ceab02492.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

At long last, rice roll. Nearly a month after my initial thwarted attempt, I made a second foray down to Canal Street earlier this evening.  Joe's was open, but also out of fresh shrimp (sigh). So I got a dried shrimp rice roll, with all of the available vegetables: bean sprouts, scallions, corn and cilantro. Also sesame seeds. This is a very good rice roll. Light, fresh, slick as opposed to sticky, not overly glutinous. And large.

A68pAcU.png

So that I might be able to make a reasonably useful comparison between Joe's $6 version and Happy Star's $1.75 version, I went to the latter yesterday for a fish ball rice roll. It made for a nice snack, but if anyone is curious about whether a Joe's rice roll is worth the extra cash, the answer is an emphatic yes.

HnhESsu.png

Pretty much concur...

Decided, since I was in the area today, to give it a try...

vTKjayE.jpg?2

This is the fresh shrimp, with bean sprouts, scallion and cilantro.  Much better than Happy Star on East Broadway.

And $7. Also had curry fish balls on the side, 10 for $3. Not a destination, but worthy if hungry and right nearby.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

yeh, i think the addition of the egg is the big difference also their willingness to veer into a more current "American" personalize your rice roll with various toppings and add ins. ,  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.