8 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

Ok, so I am on a pizza kick now.. The bar stool sports guy goes around rating pizza in New York and I am sold.. We were in Chinatown yesterday trying coffee places and shopping when the boy got super hungry.. I decided to put our location into my pizza app and Saluggi's popped up with a high score... 

It's a cute little place in what people call Tribeca I guess but, it's very much still Chinatown to me..  It's an old school spot, tables and booths.. There was a table of 4 plain clothes cops sitting at one table that was about it... 

We ordered a small pie and a 28 dollar bottle of wine and waited a bit.. One of the guys working there was really chatty.. they showed me their bar stool sports plaque.. Spoke about pizza and other pizza places and he was a nice enough guy.. 

The place is super comfortable.. I am looking forward to coming back with a group of kids... 

I watched and smelled a huge plate of buffalo calamari come out... It looked perfect, like chicken fried calamari... 

The pizza arrived hot and crunchy.. Our waiter was smart enough to take the basil off without us remembering...  The thing I loved about this pizza was the sauce.. It was fantastic.. tangy and sweet without any sort of tin taste.. The cheese was creamy, the pizza was a little too crunchy for my preference.. Again, still very good, better than soggy but, it was very thin and very crunchy.. Jax at 4 slices and all of his crust... He eats the crust on pizza.. I went to take the crust from his first bite and he said, "daddy, i like the bread, don't eat it"  Shocked as Karas take all the cheese of her pizza first and then eat everything right up until the crust... But, to each their own. 

46485886764_e50b14e423_z.jpg

I am looking forward to returning... They have chicken parm and a few other dishes where I really want to see what else they pair their tomato sauce with...  It's a perfect spot for kids, it was super low key when we were there... I hope to return soon. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

They opened a second place, probably larger than the first, in our strip of stores on Grand Street, where the infamous Noah's Ark used to be, just east of Kossar's, Pickle Guys, et al.

I've never tried the pizza. The other thing I tried (I think a meatball hero, or something like that) was OK.  This one is more of a bar with a lot of TVs on sports; perhaps that's why the bar stool guys rated it.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

yeh, the sauce really did it for me... Do you remember it, did it stand out? 

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

I’ve had good luck with the serious eats slice list, lots of places I haven’t heard of. a place in astoria that was a lot like the microwave pizza I grew up with, a good place in midtown east, and a few places you’ve been like best pizza in williamsburg.

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

I don't remember the sauce particularly, since it was a a while ago. The meatballs weren't great on the hero, they were serviceable.

I think the slice place in Williamsburg I really enjoyed was L'Industrie?

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

I don't remember the sauce particularly, since it was a a while ago. The meatballs weren't great on the hero, they were serviceable.

I think the slice place in Williamsburg I really enjoyed was L'Industrie?

I like Industrie, the problem is, they cover their pizza in like cold mozzarella and olive oil.. I am sorry but, i do not like a whole bunch of olive oil poured over my slice.. The next time, I asked for no olive oil and it was much better but, i got a square instead of the regular slice.. The square while the bread was fantastic, the topping was not too exciting.. 

I work very close by and will be there much more frequently 

#7 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

you like that more than best pizza?

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,716 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

you like that more than best pizza?

Negative.

#9 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

I've never tried the pizza.

I have, but not for a while. It was okay. The mozzarella was rubbery. It did not look like the picture Daniel posted, so maybe it's better now, or the two branches use different grades of mozzarella. The crust and sauce weren't bad. I think it's a better bar than it is a restaurant. I had a really nice time watching the World Cup there.